Laptop Power Problem - Is there a way to run AC power directly into the battery bay?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JEWbacca, Apr 8, 2007.

1. JEWbacca

JEWbacca =/

laptop model: Dell Inspiron 600m

Somewhere along the mother board the solder traces got fucked up... for that reason AC power will not power the laptop via the jack in the back... but when the battery is charged on a different computer and then put into the laptop it works fine.

My goal = be able to power the latop via the battery bay directly through an AC power cord

any suggestions...

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

When the battery is charged on the other computer, is the same power supply used each time?

I'm wondering if it's not the plug that's shorted out.

The same goes for the plug on the laptop side.

A drastic fix would be to buy a dead battery, and yank it apart and solder the psu leads directly to the battery leads.
    That would be seriously messy though. And probably hazardous.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

It may not work. Many batteries have outputs for individual cells or at least a microcontroller to manage battery status etc.

I would aim to repair/replace the jack or hardwire the power to the board.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I was thinking in terms of running leads off of the main contact points. All the internals would only matter if you wanted it to function as a battery. I'm figuring that if the
    power adaptor has enough amperage to power the laptop,
    then the battery doesn't need to function at all.

But it would seriously be a messy job. Goggles and rubber gloves would be a requirement.

5. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

is there not a transformer to convert wall voltage into dc on the power cord? I would think that if you put wall voltage directly into the laptop you would have a large amount of smoke and alot of burnt laptop.

other than that, I would think if you knew the specifications of the battery and how much current the laptop would draw you could fashion some kind of DC power supply for it.

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

My point was that some lithium circuts are smart, it may not even turn on with just the power connected.

Also your battery voltage is probably significantly lower than your AC adapter, that could cause problems too.