Laptop power cuts out

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ugosplat, Jan 13, 2003.

1. ugosplat

ugosplat UConn - NCAA '04 champs

the power on my sony vaio fx220 cuts out. i have to pull the powercord toward the computer with a rubberband to maintain a connection. the connection part on the computer is wobbly. has anyone ever had this problem? has anyone ever opened the comp and soldered the connection? iam fairly comfortable opening it up and i have replaced the hard drive before but pulling the fan out and then finding the loose connection (if there is one) and soldering it iam kind of shakey on so if anyone has any tips id appreciate it.

matt

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

And your options are? I mean it sounds like that is the problem but then you also don't want to fry anything so make sure you heat sink any wires you plan on soldering.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I have the same damn problem with my Presario laptop.. freaking annoying, especially since the battery isn't worth a crap anymore, so whenever it goes loose, the power cuts off. :bash:

But, unfortunately I have no tips. :big grin:

4. ugosplat

what exactly is heat sinking and how do i do. i think iam gonna attempt to fix it tomorrow.

matt

5. 5Gen_Prelude

Fancy word for attaching a wire via an alligator clip to the board side of the plug and then to ground so that any heat generated by the iron travels through the wire, instead of into the MB. It's more of a safety precaution nowadays, but it was really important in the days of soldering guns.

6. ugosplat

Fixed! I had to go to 3 stores until i found a soldering iron with a thin enough tip to reach the solder on the power connection. so i resodlered the connection and i also jb welded the connection to the computer so it cant move. aparently the only thing stopping the connection from moving was the solder. so everytime the power cord got tugged or anythign it put stress on the solder until it gave. sony is stupid as hell for that design.

matt

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Good to hear :bigthumb: