laptop overheating

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Buttons, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

heres the deal, i have a celeron 2.2ghz processor in my laptop, its some shitty brand with a spm micro(??) motherboard, 512Mb ram. the fan is crazy loud(started about 6months after purchasing), and it gets crazy hot. i'll have msn, aim, IE running, and if i try to open photoshop, nero or most other programs it gets crazy hot and shuts down. anyone wanna explain why this happens? if you need anymore info just ask

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

The computer shutdowns for the reason you explain - it gets too hot. If your fan is loud then there may be something stuck in it or it may be broken - you probably want to fix that. You should take a can of compressed air and go a trip inside the laptop to clean everything out. Laptops are known to run on the hot side - they are so small - it is even more important to keep them clean inside and out.

Don't put the laptop on a soft surface (rug, couch, bed, *lap*, etc.) it needs to be on a hard surface for venting (table, glass, etc.). If you don't want to open the laptop just spray the air through the vent holes...if the fan is still loud you probably want to crack it open though.

3. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

thanks for the suggestions