Laptop OS question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Negative Ions, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

I've got a fairly new HP Pavillion DV8000. Of course it came with XP Media Center, and all of HP's added bullshit. I was thinking of formatting it and installing XP Pro Corporate. Anyone done this before? I've done it with every desktop PC I've had, but this is my first laptop. What are the chances that I won't be able to get everything working? I'm pretty sure that as long as I get the network "card" working I can figure out the rest. Any benefit in doing it other than the ton of HD space I'll free up? Anything else to look out for?

Oh, and I did try it once before (without formatting) with my XP disc, but it wouldn't take the XP serial key for some reason. I know the key works, I just used it about 2 weeks ago on my desktop, but it's not exactly "legal". :) Will having Media Center on here somehow let the sytem know that the key I entered to install pro is not valid?

2. Daddy O

Daddy O Active Member

Make sure you back up all the drivers before you format the drive. Then format it and install the LAN and Modem drivers first. This will insure you access to the internet. After you get that working, install all the other hardware drivers. After XP is installed make sure you run the Automatic updates program and get all of the updates installed. Then you can install the real programs you want.

I'm with you on this - many of the computer manufacturers put so much garbage on the drives they pull down the capability of the machine. HP is notorious for this.

Good Luck.

3. AO

AO New Member

Why would you need to install XPP over (instead of) XPMC? What functionality does it provide over MC? Is DRM posing problems where you need to make copies? Does MC not allow you to play all your games? Does MC not allow you to lock down your accounts securely or restrict access to certain folders? Is it missing some network functionality, like ATM or IPSEC?

Chances are that if you use that key on a non HP machine, basically a license transfer, that the install won't work. Yes, there is a workaround, but it will also mean that you will possibly need to call MS over the telephone to register the product.

If it just a matter of mitigating the possibility that your system will not be broken into while surfing the net, then I suggest a dual boot of Ubuntu (Linux) with Automatix and MC.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes! He should trade in Windows for Linux! That way he won't be able to use any of his programs, and he'll be confused by all the different settings!

Brilliant!

:squint:

Installing XP Pro won't remove much crap from his computer, but reformatting will get rid of HP's "utilities". That's worth something.

5. AO

AO New Member

No, I didn't say that he should trade Windows for Linux. I said that he may want to consider a dual-boot with Linux. One considers Linux because of spyware, viruses, trojans, browser helper objects and admin rights on an account which surfs the net and through which it allows a hacker to make changes to the c:\winnt or c:\windows OS directory files.

As far as wanting to reformat & do a clean install just to get rid of the "HP stuff," most of it can be easily removed via the Control Panel Add / Remove app.

6. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

Yeah, I could use the add/remove programs, but I want to start fresh. Just a clean install of XP Pro. Then I can add whatever I want. And no, I don't think I'll be using any sort of *NIX.

7. Paulblo

Paulblo OT Supporter

you should get a media center disk and format, then use the key on the bottom of the laptop. that should work.

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Can you tell us why? (*NIX is ONE HELL of a generalization btw)

9. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

Don't have a Media Center disk. I haven't seen a PC in several years that actually came with the OS on a disc. It's all on a system restore disc, or a seperat HD partition like mine is now. I don't need all the added stuff in Media Center.

10. thejiSh

thejiSh New Member

Just go ahead and format. HP laptops are great with compatibility, and you can find extra drivers in no time.

11. Daddy O

Daddy O Active Member

Not if you don't have access to the internet...back up the drivers FIRST.

12. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

Why the fuck would I want any version of Unix? I've never had any problems with Windows, and don't run anything that would be better on Unix.

Yes, if I do it I'll back up the drivers first. Might try to tackle it this weekend, we'll see. There are a few programs from the HP I wouldn't mind keeping, like LightScribe, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I will though.

13. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Huh? I was just wondering why he'd never try "*NIX".
    You most certainly would not. I believe Ubuntu was the OS that AO suggested.

Anyhow, whatever. Goodluck with the activation popups, and the zero-day vulnerabilities too.

14. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I always fail to see why in every Windows post, someone has to mention to install Linux instead. The post is obviously asking about Windows, not another OS.

Either way, you should be fine. Before you format, go to the HP website and download the drivers you'll need and burn them to a CD or something if you don't already have them on a CD. There's a pretty good chance Windows will detect and install the network card anyway.

As for machines not coming with a CD, most of them do. I just got a new Dell laptop last week and even though there is a hidden partition on the drive with what I assume is an image of the machine, I also got the XP and drivers CD's with it.

15. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Your mis-information makes me laugh)

Anyhow, in regards to your failure to understand, it just may be that alternative OSes like Ubuntu are effective solutions to many Windows issues millions of people suffer over. (just yesterday, two of my friends got their computers completely fucked over because they clicked a link. Karma rules, I had them fully informed about Firefox (failing Ubuntu) beforehand and they shat on my advice.)

16. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

And before anyone replies with "Well they should've kept themselves up-to-date", I'd presume they are up-to-date thanks to auto-update (one thing MS got kinda right). I suspect the web-page explited this unfixed, zero-day "extremely critical" vulnerability: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/927892.mspx (published November 3, 2006, over half a week ago)
    http://secunia.com/advisories/22687/

I talk to these guys on MSN messenger. When they're infected, it sends the link on to all their contacts (message is something like "is this you?? <url-of-supposad-image>", a hellofalot of people will, do and have clicked the link and gotten infected). (I wasn't online yesterday when these two got infected, and I (surprisingly!) haven't been sent the message yet today, but if I was, I'm pretty sure I could click it with confidence, just like ever other non-Windows user on the planet. (and non-IE user (MSN messenger does respect the default web-browser config now doesn't it?))

17. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The original question was about re-installing Windows. His computer is not fucked over, he just wants to reformat and install XP Pro. Where does that imply that he wants to install Linux, *nix, or whatever the hell you guys call it?

18. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I don't think there was anything unwarranted about that.

19. fttp

fttp Guest

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, my Windows XP workstations at work have to be rebooted at least once a month or they just run like shit. And the servers can barely handle running at 100% load for weeks at a time. It's a wonder that anybody bothers with Windows anymore. :rolleyes:

Jackass.

Nice ad. Trying to save up to buy a subscription?