MIL Laptop or desktop for this lifestyle?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PissWater, Apr 1, 2006.

1. PissWater

PissWater New Member

Well, Im about to be sent to my first duty assignment and Im trying to throw some big cash down on a new computer for when I get to CP Casey, Im a forward observer in the army if you wanted to know what kinda job I had (figure it would help with the advice) and im wondering before I drop like 1500 to 2 grand on something if I could get some more words of wisdom from people who would know better, so is it worth it to spend themoneyon a laptop for the easily transported from place to place or should I just get a desktop thats gunna be better for less cash, but ill probably have to ship it everywhere I go, Im asking because this being my first duty assignment I have no idea how the living conditions are in the real army. :dunno:

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

That is the trade off. If you get a laptop, two grand buys you a decent one. Two grand buys you a monster of a desktop though.
    How often are you going to be deployed?
    Would you take the laptop with you on deployments?
    If so, are you willing to spend the extra money on one that can handle the desert environment?
    Do you want the fastest computer available? If yes, Desktop/ No, maybe laptop
    Do you want to upgrade in the next few years? If yes, Desktop/ No, maybe laptop

Answer these questions and you will let youself know what you want.

3. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

If your going to be a FO and deployed I would say get both. Get a good/great laptop (about 1100-1200) and a decent desktop (about 500-700). You will want a laptop while on deployment and when in the rear a good desktop will be nice to have. Also there is nothing wrong with getting a low-mid grade desktop because they are easily upgradable. Just pay attention to the CPU speed and Front side bus speed. Ram and Hardisk are cheap to upgrade

4. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Also I would add that you may want to wait till you get to your unit and see the deployment rotation. Because a Laptop will not be useful for minor field probs but will for a long deployment. If your going to be in the field for longer than a month then place more stress on laptop.

5. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

aafes.com actually has good prices on systems.....

don't BUY in store RETAIL

biggest waste of money ever.

6. PissWater

PissWater New Member

Only one year, then im gunna attempt at getting a slot to an airborne unit :noes:

7. pakman

pakman New Member

What are you going to use the computer for? If you're into heavy gaming, definitely go for the desktop. If not, a laptop would be 10x more convenient, especially if you're going to deploy often.