Laptop Not Seeing Ethernet or USB

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by el_gato_negro, Apr 29, 2004.

1. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

I just got a new (used) laptop. It's a Twinhead A5020. It has 2 USB ports and 1 ethernet port. They seem to be inactive. Examples: my optical mouse does not light up when plugged into either USB port, and my router does not see (that is, the number for the port does not light) the connection.

I have examined the CMOS options; only serial and printer ports are listed. The Device Manager in Windows does not see a network adapter or USB hub. Is it possible that there are dipswitches or jumpers that need to be set?

Computer info:

WinXP Pro
    Celeron 566
    128 SDRAM
    AMIBIOS v.?

Thanks for all suggestions.

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I would be willing to bet that it is a setting in BIOS. Windows XP should automatically detect that there are atleast USB ports attached.

You may need to flash your BIOS. Do that here: http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm

Any computer that I've seen that comes with USB ports has a setting for them in BIOS - with the setting turned off the computer would act like yours is right now. I highly doubt it would be a jumper setting on the motherboard.

I'd say try flashing, if there are no updates or if it works check BIOS again but look a little harder :)

Goodluck!

3. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

Man, there ain't much to see there! :big grin: I'll check out the BIOS update, though. Thanks.