laptop not booting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by autox, Jul 19, 2007.

1. autox

autox OT Supporter

I have this dell laptop that is fucked up. I put ubuntu on it a long time ago, and it worked for a little while but would eventually freeze. Now it will boot, but not show any bios screens, and the ubuntu sign in page will show up a minute or two later. When I try to login, I get a bunch of lines across the screen, so I can see the background, but its not that clear, and it wont login. Why wouldnt the bios page be showing? I downloaded the ultimate boot cd but it when I put in the cd and boot up the screen just stays black. It doesnt go to ubuntu, but it doesnt boot this either. Any thoughts?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

jeez, mobo, ram, vid card.

that's not an easy one to test because you can't rule out the mobo.

Take out any extra ram (if you have more than 1 stick) try each to see if it'll boot. Remove the hdd and see if you can reliably get in and navigate bios.

TRY to boot to seagate seatools -- but based on what you're saying that may not work. If you can, run memtest and seatools on the hdd.

Short of that, you've probably got a brick and will need a new lappy.

But try getting it as stripped as possible (but I think it's your mainboard that's gone bad)

3. autox

autox OT Supporter

I got it for free, the guy said if I couldnt fix it that I could keep it. I'll try those suggestions, thanks :)

4. autox

autox OT Supporter

none of that worked. I have feeling something big is fucked up, because I cant get any type of boot screen no matter what. I took it apart a while ago to see if anything was obviously disconnected or something, but couldnt find anything