Laptop Memory Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DaveyD, Mar 7, 2006.

1. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

I have a Compaq Presario V2000 series laptop. I like it much better than my old crusty Toshiba, but besides the point. What I dont like about it, is that it has 512 ram, and I want to put some more in it. What I also don't like about it, is that it shares that ram with the video. So techincally I only have 384mb when 128 is dedicated for video. This can be adjusted in the bios and what not. I want to upgrade the ram. I have never taken apart a laptop. I am fairly computer savy. I have built about 5 computers, so I know my way around one. According to the Crucial computer scan, I have 200pin SODIMM DDR PC2700, which are 2 sticks of 256. I know that ram should go in as pairs.
    Questions:
    1. Is it hard putting ram into a laptop?
    B. Can I put in DDR2 ram, and will it make a difference, or should I just stick with DDR.
    kthx. :)

2. Finesse

Finesse Back for the First Time

Most laptops have an easy access to the RAM from the underside of them. Look around there, i don't know about the type for it though.

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

It is extremely unlikely that you'd be able to use DDR2. As far as i know, DDR2 and DDR(1) arent interchangeable... but i do not know for sure.

And no, its not hard putting ram in a laptop. There's just a panel on the bottom held on by a couple screws. Once off, remove the ram. You should be able to figure out how to remove, and insert the ram, but its a little different than on a desktop. Laptop ram (the ones i've seen at least) go in at an angle, like 45*, so the pins make contact, then you press it down so the chip is parallel to the mainboard.

I have no idea if that makes sense. If not... just go real slow when you're doing it... and/or look up some pics online. I am sure you'll be able to find some pics of laptop ram that is already installed, or even some walkthrus that you can use.

4. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

Bump.
    Anyone else?

5. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

Stick with DDR, read the instruction manual or go to the manufacturer's site and read how, and oh yeah.... maz the RAM out. :)