Laptop issue... Screen doesnt turn on some times....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GiantRutgersFan, Apr 9, 2007.

1. I bought this laptop about 6 months ago. Its an Acer laptop that I got for around $550 on a special from Circuit City.

Anyways, I really like the computer, except for one issue. When I turn off the computer or close it (which should make it idle), the computer screen goes blank.

And to turn on my computer, it takes me about 10 times pushing the power button. What happens is I push the button, the computer fires up, but nothing appears on the screen except a blank screen. So I just have to cut off the power by taking out the battery and then hitting the power button again.

Its very annoying. Also sometimes when I have the computer running and its not in a set position (if its on my lap or something) the computer will sometimes freeze if I place it onto a surface.

So yea, what do you think the deal is? I didnt buy any kind of warranty so I would like to fix whatever the issue is myself.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Okay - here's a tip for ya. The power button is a 1/2 second momentary switch at most. However, if you hold the button down for about 3 seconds, it will force the computer off. In other words, hitting it briefly sends a command to the OS (if it's running, or the the BIOS if it isn't) that says, "Hey - buddy wants you to turn on/off - cool?" and hopes that it responds. The 3 second rule tells the computer to turn the fuck off regardless of what is going on. You shouldn't need to pull the battery to get the same response.

If you close the lid to make it go into standby, just open the lid again to bring it back online - you don't need to hit the button. Unless something really is broken.

Now - you also say you bought this only 6 months ago right? I would venture to guess the standard warranty on that is 1 year. Take advantage of it while you can if none of what I said makes sense.

If you reinstalled the computer, make sure you installed ALL of the drivers that had to do with BIOS, chipset and power control.

3. I didnt do anything regarding re install or anything. its what it came with stock.

What I mean was that when I hit the power button, the laptop always powers up. But the screen doesnt take. nothing happens. when looking at the screen, it seems like its off. But the computer is actually on (drives work, lights are on, etc)

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well then send it in for repair.