Laptop is locking up *help*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnson, Mar 7, 2007.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

Tried to make a thread 10 minutes ago but it restarted by itself and had to take out the battery to turn it off. Second time it froze while I was typing it out. Third time it froze before it hit the log in screen.

Started happening last week almost once a day but yesterday it locked up more than 8 times. Doesnt matter what im doing at the time. Is my processor going out? Motherboard?

IBM T23
    PIII 1.13ghz
    512MB RAM

2. Dashing

Dashing Forever Dashing

I'm not sure what your technology competance is at, but I assume you've run standard spyware/adware/virus tests?

(Assuming you're on Windows :eek:)

Try booting save mode, see how long it takes until it crashes again, if at all.

Run virus/adware tests in safe mode.

If it crashes in safe mode, then your hardware is borked. I would like to blame overheating issues, but that's an easy answer.

3. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I just had pretty much the same thing Happen on my laptop. The hard drive was dying so I just replaced it.

Im assuming your bios is good since it's such an old laptop. I also had the same problem once when I bought a new HP laptop. They sent out a new laptop with a bios version that was unstable. Finally, a month later they had a new bios version that fixed the problem.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

Just froze in Safe Mode. How do you tell if it's overheating? Tried updating my antivirus but it froze when it was almost complete. HDD is not making any noise.

5. Dashing

Dashing Forever Dashing

Freezing in safe mode leads me to believe it's a hardware issue, especially in safe mode.

Perhaps you should contact Lenovo and see what options they suggest.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

Alright, I did some reading and other people had the same type of problem with it locking up and then not booting at all. They suggested that one of the inductors on the bottom of the motherboard came loose and to solder it back on. I took everything apart and moved the piece and the inductor did come loose. Soldered it back on and laptop has no problems whatsoever now for the past 3 days.

Not sure if there was a recall but from the pictures ive seen, it's the same inductor (out of two) on other people's T23s.