Laptop help! Won't boot up

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by c2rsx, May 24, 2007.

1. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

Recently this laptop of mine will not power up the lcd, spin the cpu fan, or give me an indicator that the hard drive is doing anything. I do hear the hard drive spinning though. I've tried booting with out the harddrive as well, but it will not post at all.. All I get is a blank screen since the lcd didnt power up. Is my motherboard fried or something? I've tried directly plugging into wall with no battery, with battery..

any suggestions??

2. Create

Create :free at last:

Make, model, etc. I believe the screen settings are outside the screen's specifications.

The first thing I would try is a jumper reset of your BIOS settings.

The next thing I would try is to hook up an external monitor. With some luck, the external will be able to display the oddball settings, thus allowing you to change the settings.

If neither of those things work we'd have to dig deeper.

3. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

sony vaio fj270. ive tried hooking it up to a external monitor too. no signal.

4. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Is the battery charged? I found that if I run my battery COMPLETELY dead, the computer will not boot (as you described) until I leave it plugged in for a little while.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the computer operates off the battery even when it is plugged in, so essentially there must be at least a LITTLE charge in the battery for it to work.

5. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

i've tried plugged my laptop with no battery using the a/c adapter

6. Create

When you do this does it spin the HDD? Does the HDD spin with the battery in?

I'm thinking either PSU or battery, as the cpu fan is dead.

Are you getting beep codes?

7. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

the HDD spins with and without battery. The cpu fan spins up for like less than a second only then stops right after you press the power button.

8. Create

No beep codes and a dead cpu fan, no monitor boot - It's got to be a BIOS config issue (jumper reset BIOS) or your PSU is failing. *If* your motherboard monitors cpu fan speed/temp, it's possible that your cpu fan died and BIOS is preventing a boot as a safety feature.

9. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

I dont get any beep. How do I reset? I need to open this badboy up? If its a dead psu... that going to cost alot?

10. Create

Laptops have the same components as a desktop.

Although the diagnosis is identical, I'm not qualified to instruct you how to open the case *and* make sure you don't break anything.

You either need local help, or forum help from someone who knows your make/model.