laptop heat

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stoliohranj, Jul 23, 2005.

1. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

i typically use my laptop while on my bed, and often leave it laying on it while running for some time while i'm away. today for the first time i've actually heard the fan running at a high speed for a continual amount of time. obviously this is bad as my laptop was quite toasty. is leaving it on something like a bed or pillow worse for heat disspiation than a desk?

also, do those laptop cooling pads that plug into your usb port actually work? are they worth the hassel and cost?

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

hell yes leaving it on a soft surface such as that is going to interfere with cooling!

and the pads do work, just be sure you're running offa/c power and not the battery cuz they'll drain it quick
    but still, leaving the laptop on the pad on the bed isn't going to help much
    it'll still sink down and exhaust ports will be covered/blocked by fabric

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Those laptop cooling pads work on the Peltier principle: run electricity through two metal panels, each of a different kind of metal, and the result is that heat gets sucked from one panel to the other. The problem is that the electricity itself makes heat in addition to the heat being pumped away from the computer. My roommate used one of those pads, and his laptop stayed cool, but he burned the surface of his wood desk.

Another idea is to go to a hardware store and buy a big sheet of aluminum and cut it to fit your desk. The metal will act like a big heatsink and keep the computer cool. It isn't pretty, but it works.

4. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

i usually use my laptop on my bed, so thats not going to work. i find if i prop the read of my laptop up on a book, sufficent airflow gets underneath to keep it from burning up

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

They make them that just use fans.

6. Poon

Poon New Member