laptop hd in desktop - how do I do it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Orkin Yards, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards 5.9 Limited, have you driven one lately?

So my laptop hard drive crashed this morning and the dell guy said there is a way to install it in my desktop to potentially retrieve the data - I have built a computer before so in some capacity am comfortable with the idea, but can someone point me in the right direction - he said you have to either take it out of its shell or get an adaptor, any knowledge of this?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Places like CompUSA sell an IDE to laptop adaptor. You can either hook it up that way or use an external enclosure with it so you don't have to open up the computer.

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

yep.

i'd prolly lean more towards the external enclosure. less mess and risk of fubar'ing your desktop.

4. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

External USB enclosure is the way to go. I had to do the same thing when my old laptop broke.

5. Orkin Yards

what are the chances of recovering data this way? Not sure I understand why you would be able to hook it up externally and it work but not work in the laptop....

6. Orkin Yards

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

b/c if you hook it up externally to your desktop, it is not the primary boot drive. your desktop will still boot to its normal drive and OS, and the laptop HD will be secondary.

the reason teh tech suggested this is likely b/c he suspects it is a windows error... and that your data is still there, but windows wont boot on the laptop. by making it external to yoru desktop, he/you are removing the windows installation on the laptop hd from the equation. if the drive is not completely fubar'd, you can backup your data to your desktop, and reformat the laptop hd.

does that make sense?

8. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

9. Orkin Yards

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Both of those would work, but the adaptor I was talking about was only about $5.

It has an IDE connector on one end and a laptop data connection on the other. You need to hook it up to one of your IDE controllers for it to work.

I mentioned using a USB enclosure so you wouldn't have to open up your desktop, not realizing you could buy a enclusure made for 2.5" drives.

11. lazyjk

lazyjk Uncle Sam wants you for the NEW Freedom Fighters!!

5$ adaptor FTW

I had a similar issue earlier this year on a laptop that came into our shop.
    Hooked up an adaptor and copied their important files onto their new desktop HD.

Lots cheaper than a external enclosure, unless you are planning on leaving the laptop drive hooked up to the desktop permanently. Then I would probably go with the exteraal

12. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

I see metal USB powered enclosures for $10 on ebay all the time. I might pick one up for this 60GB laptop drive I have with a few bad sectors.