laptop has trouble playing media files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Orestes, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Orestes

Orestes Guest

here's the specs on my laptop, sony vaio intel pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 512 mb ddr sdram.
    lately, every time i try to play any media file, the audio and video are never in sync, the video is always lagging. even if i restart my computer and have no other programs running, it still lags. so far i've defragged my hd, ran a search for spyware since my roomie suggested it, and tried clearing up my hd as much as possible, yet the problem remains. any ideas?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

could need to just format and start over if the machine is really borked.

Also check that video drivers are installed.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The media is choppy or simply not sync'd?

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

i would try reinstalling any codecs.

5. Orestes

Orestes Guest

the video quality is perfect, its just not sync'd
    i've tried downloading every single codec i could possibly find. didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.
    and i actually had to format about a month ago because my C drive crashed. never seemed to have a problem back then. and i'm sure the media files are just fine, i've tried burning them to dvd and cd and played it on other computers and they work fine. i'm thinking my computer overall is just lagging.

6. Zourn

in that case, i'd go with jollyogre and reinstall your video card drivers.

7. Orestes

Orestes Guest

alright, so i had email notification for this particular thread. i just clicked on the link from the email and it took approximately 15 seconds for IE to actually open and i couldn't do anything else for those 15 seconds. just an example of how my computer is lagging. do you think that still has something to do with the video card drivers?

8. Zourn

do you have a lot of programs running in the background?
    when you reformatted, did you reinstall all drivers for your chipset?
    have you run spyware/adware checkers such as Ad-Aware/Spybot S&D/Microsoft's new toy?

9. Orestes

Orestes Guest

nope, this happens even right after i restart. i'm usually only running AIM and 1 or 2 IE. i'm sure that's not too much for a p4 2.8ghz computer to handle. even my old pentium 2 ran smoother than this junk.
    i did run all the spyware checkers that are in the sticky, didn't seem to help at all though.
    sorry, i'm not too good with computers, what exactly do you mean by chipset? when i first got the laptop, it kept prompting me to do a backup that took 7 CDs. i booted up with the 1st CD in and after that everything seemed to be ok.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

don't use the cds that come with it -- they are probablly your problem. Get an OEM cd and use that.

is it XP Home or XP Pro?

11. Orestes

Orestes Guest

XP home
    it didnt come with CDs, i actually had to pop in 7 blank CDs to make the backup

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you want to pay shipping, I can send you a genuine XP Home CD so you can fix it and not worry about all that crap that sony forces on you.

13. Orestes

Orestes Guest

i'm pretty sure one of my roomates has one. ahhh... but i really don't want to reformat again. such a pain in the ass. thanks for the offer though, i appreciate the help. i've always said i hate sony, every sony product i've had has not failed to break down or have problems in a year, yet for some reason i continue to buy sony products. well... i've had this laptop for about a year now, should've gone with toshiba.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

toshiba is worse.