Laptop Harm?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coottie, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

So I'm sitting here with my laptop on my lap and I pick up the phone to make a call (landline not cell). I hear this awful buzzing in the earpiece and don't know what it is. I think it might be the lights or something but I don't know...never heard it before. It's not a slight little buzz either, it's quite noticeable and pretty damned loud.

While I'm looking around, I take my laptop off my lap and immediately after my hand breaks contact with the case, the buzzing stops. Not a little better, it goes away completely.

So I start touching the LT in random places and it's the worst on the bottom. I mean it's really bad under there.

Is the harmful/dangerous? Anyone know?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

your body just became a conductor

what's your take in things like cellphones causing brain tumors?

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Sounds like my gf's cell phone. She has an AT&T 8525 and it attacks TVs and sound systems quite often. It can sit on or a couple feet away no problem when its not doing anything, then when it does something (ie: receive a message, other random times), it will make shit go nuts, making loud buzzing sounds.

4. Coottie

and that's not a harmful thing?
    I don't have a take...the evidence doesn't support them being bad for you, at least that's what I've heard. But there are plenty of examples where science has reversed itself after further study.

5. Chris

Chris New Member

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

nah. it's not like being shocked or electrocuted.
    well,... maybe it'll have an effect if you are exposed continously for long periods of time. maybe numbness but nothing fatal.

same concept with that cellphone/brain tumor thing. no concrete proof that it's harmful.

7. Coottie

That's my concern....we don't have evidence of issues and by the time we do, it might be too late.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

dude, it's just interference. pretty common for electrical equipment.

your body acted as a conductor, like an antenna, to boost that interference to mess with the phone's reception. quite the same way back when people hold TV antennas to get better reception. it won't give you superaids.

9. Coottie

:rofl: @ superaids

Well Ok...that makes more sense. I didn't realize that's what you were saying. Me = electronics noob.

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

in addition to that,.. a laptop (or the phone) doesn't give enough electromagnetic radiation as say an xray, radio isotope, or nuclear reactor.
    it's too weak.

that's the debate about the cellphone/brain tumor thing. the microwave signal passing through your body while using a cellphone is weak. but what happens if your body get constant bombardment of these waves for long periods of time? will it be enough to cause tumors? there is still no concrete proof of that.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008