Laptop hard drive info

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LS1S13, Apr 28, 2010.

1. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

My wife's old Dell Inspiron 6000 needs a new hard drive. Looking on Dell.com with their service tag it says I need a PATA drive, but I don't see any on newegg. Since I don't know a damn thing about this, do I have any other options besides buying a refurbished hard drive from Dell?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

3. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

Ok, so an ATA drive is the same thing?

4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

A better answer is that you don't want SATA.

Just look for the word SATA on whatever drive you are buying, if it says that then don't buy it. You should be fine.

Now... if you have never replaced a laptop hard drive you are in for a real pleasent experience. What you really need to do is do a search for something like 'replace hard drive in Dell Dimension 6000' or some such. You need the manaul and you need to read the instructions thoroughly before attempting it.

Can be a real bitch - but it can be done. Some are easier then others. Best of luck.

5. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Yes, they were simply referred to as ATA (or ATA-100 and ATA-133 depending on bandwidth speed) until SATA came out. Now they are often referred to as PATA to differentiate between "serial" (SATA) and "parallel" (PATA).

Service Manual: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/sm/index.htm
    Hard Drive Section: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/sm/hdd0.htm#wp1130375

Seems to be about as easy as it can be for a laptop.

6. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have had laptops that were terrible. Like removing of the keyboard and such.
    They have gotten better in recent years. Now if only manufactueres would ship laptops with an extra caddy so when I want to add an extra hard drive to bay #2 I don't have to get on ebay to get the parts..

8. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Btw, I have no idea about your particular model, but you may also have a hard drive size limit, depending on your laptop motherboard.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

I've yet to use a 2nd bay - I question why anyone would need it that couldn't get away with a USB drive - the one I have doesn't even require power.

10. thekraft

thekraft New Member

It can be slow, and suck up a lot of power. It's fine for storing say, movies, but pretty bad for programs and such.

11. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

If I were you I'd just take your service key and look it up on dells web site and it should provide you with a list of parts that you can use and one of them should be a hard drive. That way you get a direct OEM replacement thats going to work with your model.

12. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Long story. I had a SATA laptop hard drive just sitting around.
    Strange that you can't just simply drop it in. I had to go to ebay and purchase a caddy and adapter for it.

I call it strange, but my experience is that working with laptops you are always up against weird shit like this.

13. 5Gen_Prelude

And by OEM, you mean a generic 2.5" IDE/PATA drive since they're ALL identical, and not one is made by Dell (thank god).