laptop gurus

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stoliohranj, Jun 12, 2005.

1. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

here's why:
    *** Processor Brand AMD ***

AMD is a great choice for DESKTOPS. But not for notebooks. Their processors do not do well in a mobile environment. They get their asses kicked by Intel Penitum M's both in performance, and batterly life. the Pentium M can do twice as well on the same battery.

***Processor Class Athlon™ XP-M ***

Not only is it an AMD, but it's an OLD AMD. This chip is a piece of shit. By todays standards, you should never do this system.

***Processor Speed 2200+ / 1.8GHz ***
    It's SLOW and it's running on an OLD core. (thoroughbred, probably)

*** Memory Speed DDR333 (PC2700) ***
    This isn't so bad, but it's not great. It's single channel... Again, not so bad, but not great.

*** Memory Slots (Total) 1 ***
    No upgrading for you!

*** Capacity 60GB ***
    No brand listed (bad sign) No speed listed (worse sign)
    Probably a 4200RPM drive (common in the 60GB market) Stay FAR away.

*** Graphics Description Integrated Graphics ***
    No games for you. For normal office-type apps, it's fine

*** Display Type XGA ***
    This limits you to 1024x768... this is LOW.

Add that to being an averatec (not so good) and I would honestly pass.

3. stoliohranj

thanks for the input.

the 1024x768 is what i'm running on my current laptop, and it is sufficient, so no loss there.

i've never understood the purpose of gaming on a laptop anyway, far superior performance for far cheaper on my desktop rig (this isn't my only computer) so the quality of the graphics isn't a huge deal

the hard drive does worry me some, but i thought you said in another thread that 4200 rpm was better for battery life than a 5400 rpm, since i plan to use this mainly for word processing, browsing the internet, instant messenger and the occasionaly divx/xvid/dvd movie. would the 4200 be able to keep up with watching an avi or mpeg from disk?

no open slots, yeah, thats a bummer, but 512 should be enough for what i'm using this for, i'd imagine atleast.

ram speed, true its not the best, but i'm on a budget and that should be sufficient again

your only point that really concerns me (except for the hard drive if i'm wrong about the speed of it) is the processor. i also cringed at the sight of an AMD. i've always hated AMD's. some have even called me an Intel fanboy. i'd imagine that that processor would be sufficient for what i plan to use it for (most intensive being decoding an avi or dvd disc for playback, am i right?) but the battery life issue is what gets me.

my current laptop (an old HP pos) gets about 1.5 hrs on a charge, that is just pathetic. and i was really hoping to be able to get around 3 hrs for typical use (not watching a movie, just IM/browser)

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a 5400RPM drive in my notebook, and I get 6-8 hours of battery life doing normal office-apps. A 4200RPM drive is noticably slower. Running office apps you'll be okay, just have to deal with slower loading times. Media is iffy. It can handle normal media just fine, but you reach bottlenecks when doing a lot at once. Overall it's okay, but not ideal. What concerns me is being an unlisted brand -- so you can't actually know what you're getting. All drives are NOT created equal.

That's the problem. On the desktop, AMD or Intel, 6-to-1 half-dozen, the other. On a laptop, Intel BY A LANDSLIDE. Battery life aside, the XP is just a piece of shit chip by todays standards. I'd rather have a Celeron M over the AXPM. Case in point, decoding video is actually what the AXPM does WORST, interestingly enough. It'll work, but it will be slow, and have poor poor battery life. Intel wins both in performance, and battery life (by probably around 2x as long between charges)

3 hours is PUSHING it for that machine. I'd say 2 hours is more realistic. With an Intel Pentium M you can expect 3-4 hours typical, with 6-8 hours on the right extended battery.

And remember the brand... This is just not a quality notebook.

5. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

You might bet 3-4 hours on max battery w/ wireless off, brand new battery, and very low screen brighness. XP-M's have to clock up a lot to handle anything and that kills battery life.

Athlon XP-M's are pretty bad on battery life. My XP-M 2400+(Barton Core) eMachines I bought 2 years ago for $900 could hit 3 hours occasionally when new. It was a bigger form factor but the battery was also correspondingly bigger. I get 1 hour now but this battery has probably done 400+ cycles and a new one is only $100. Not sure if its AMD's issue but the chipset does have an intermittent bug to stay at full blast 1.8Ghz and drain the battery very quickly.

If you have a little wiggle room on the budget, I'd try to hit at least the 3300 series from them. If you're not afraid of the company's lack of support and newcomer status then their 3300 series uses the same form factor with a Centrino platform.

You can also probably manage a Dell Inspirion 700m for under 1k. Wait around for one of their deals and you can probably get one w/ a 3 year warranty. Nothing badass but it'll get the job done and at least its from a company that'll still be around in 3 years.

6. stoliohranj

# LCD (Screen) 12.1" WXGA (1280 x 800 Max Resolution)

# Pentium M 715 1.5GHZ

# 5400rpm 20gb hard drive

# Memory (2) DDR 266, SO-DIMM 200-pin DDR SDRAM
    2x256MB

# Video Intel 855GME integrated graphics solution
    # Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Technology
    # Optimized 3D Graphics & Display Engine with dynamic VRAM allocation

# Multimedia Power Cinema with Instant-Play:
    Plays CD/MP3/DVD/View Photos with a touch of a button--without loading Windows

# 8X24X10X24 Max. variable DVD/CDRW Combo Drive

# Audio 3D Audio AC'97 V2.2 compliant
    # Sound Blaster Pro compatible
    # SPDIF pure digital output

# Keyboard & Mouse US Keyboard with Internet Quickkeys
    # FN Shortcuts for Brightness, Volume, Suspend Mode, LCD/External Display Switch
    # Flat Surface Touchpad with 2 Buttons

# IO Ports 2x USB 2.0 ports, 1x IEEE 1394 (Firewire) port, 1x Mic-in jack, 1x Headphone jack, 1x RJ-45 Ethernet plug, 1x RJ-11 Modem plug, 1x External VGA, 1x S-Video output port, 1x PCMCIA Card Type II, 1x DC-in jack, 4-in-1 Card Reader, 1x Bluetooth expansion port.
    # 4-in-1 Card Reader. Reads Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro & Multi-Media Cards.

# Power ACPI 2.0 Compatible
    # Smart Power Management I/II
    # Li-ion Smart Battery

# Battery Life More than 3 Hrs

# Battery Charge 3 Hrs fast charge when system off
    # 4 Hrs fast charge when system on

# AC Adapter AC Adapter 100-240V 50-60HZ

# Communication Integrated 56K V.92 Fax Modem
    # Integrated 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
    # Option for Intel Pro/Wireless 2200 802.11 b/g LAN (Centrino™ compliant)
    # Option for Bluetooth USB Adapter

# EMC Regulation CE / FCC / VCCI / BSMI

# OS Support Windows 98SE / 2000 Pro / XP Home / XP Professional

# Dimension & Weight About 4.1 lbs, (1.9 kg)
    # Width: 11.4"
    # Depth: 9.0"
    # Height: 1.2"

# Warranty One Year Parts Limited Warranty, Three Years Labor Warranty & Lifetime Technical Support

all that for $925 shipped. keep in mind this is a barebones system with no hard drive, ram, wireless card, or OS selected. i have all of those already so i figured i'd save a few hundred.

edit: would it make more sense for any reason to get a mini-pci wireless g card rather than the pcmcia slot one? i was thinking i could attach an antenna to the pcmcia one, but the mini-pci would be more damage resistant.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

warranty sucks, and you didn't list a brand

8. stoliohranj

brand is american computech. they basically sell you a barebones system (shell, screen, and motherboard) and you add on parts that you wanted. i just added the processor and cd drive.

http://www.americancomputech.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=204323

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

again, I'd pass.