Laptop/Gaming Crew: How does this look?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bona Fide, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220098

All that for $1800? :eek3:

The "custom gaming mouse" is just a rebadged MX518, which isn't bad at all. It looks damn sexy too with the CF design. Tempting...

2. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

For the same price you could build a bleeding edge desktop PC with a DX10 graphics card with shader model 4.0 (8800 GTS/GTX) and top of the line everything else... so I dunno :dunno:

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Meh...stay away from the desktop. Mobile gaming FTW!!

I've got pretty much the exact same system except 17" screen and I love it. I bought a Dell through the University and it was about the same price.

I can run wow on full graphics with WinAmp, ventrilo and not lag a bit. With the laptop I can do that anywhere there's a wireless connection. It's awesome!

4. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

I need a laptop though, for college stuff. I'll be moving around a bit, so being able to work and do stuff anywhere is gonna be a big help. For that same reason, a 17" laptop is out of the question, as it is WAY too big to even be considered a laptop.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Buy a smaller laptop with similar specs, and plug it into a docking station connected to your favorite game gear and a 19" LCD. Laptop meets desktop.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

get a faster hard drive, 7200rpm in a laptop ftw.

7. Coottie

/disagree

with 2 gigs of ram you prolly won't be paging much so this will only help load times of programs. It will also consume more battery life. Therefore, this is a bad idea IMO.

Speaking of batteries...you might want to invest in a longer life battery. Mine is 9 cell and I can get right at 3 hours at max performance out of it....more if I turn stuff off or down.

8. emulex

emulex New Member

make sure it has a 3 year care pack and get the accidental damage in case you drop it or pour water on it. should run about 300-350 more

9. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

/disagree with your post. Have you ever tried a 7200RPM drive? I upgraded from a 4200RPM to a 7200RPM drive in my PowerBook G4. Not only did it make a huge performance difference all around, it only took maybe 5 minutes of battery life off. On a gaming system, a 7200RPM drive is a no-brainer upgrade.

10. deusexaethera

7200rpm drive + no paging file = FTW

11. Coottie

So we'll have to agree to disagree then. I'm speaking from a theoretical point of view and your empirical evidence indicates I'm mistaken. Fair enough.

12. deusexaethera

It's not just a matter of the amount of RAM he has. Windows is so conservative it's silly when it comes to RAM usage. I have 2GB of RAM and the only way I can keep Windows from enlarging my pagefile every time I turn the computer on is to have no pagefile at all. Granted, this is the best option anyway, but the point remains that any Windows user will see a significant benefit from a faster hard drive because the pagefile will get used so much.

13. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

For the record, the hard drive is a 5400rpm, not 4200rpm. I don't think it'll be as big of an issue in any case, considering the 2GB of RAM.

Also, I'm not entirely worried about the battery. Reviews have shown that it's good for just over 3 hours with WiFi on and brightness slightly reduced. That's not bad at all, and I'll be using it at my desk most of the time anyway.

14. mooboy

mooboy OT Supporter

I got a Inspiron e1505 with the following specs:

Intel Core Duo 1.83ghz
    ATI X1400 256MB
    2GB RAM
    15.4" WSXGA+ w/ Truelife LCD
    100GB Sata Hard Drive 7200rpm
    Wifi a/b/g
    Bluetooth
    DVD Writer
    3 year warranty w/ Completecare

Paid around 1500 with certain coupons

Check:

www.gotapex.com
    www.dealmac.com
    www.slickdeals.com

Was able to play bf2/2142 @ 1280x1024 aa off but most stuff turned to medium settings. Played wow just fine. Company of heroes ran @ 1280x1024. Basically it was able to do play almost anything pretty decent. And it was plenty fast for applications. bought it in feburary so I'm sure there are better deals now (get a core 2 duo instead)

My work got me a Dell Latitude D820 which has a faster 2.0ghz core 2 duo processor and a Nvidia Quadro 120M 512MB. It works about as good as my e1505 system.

I was worried that I wasn't getting as high a video card because I didn't want 17" behomoth size, but the cards that came with the 15.4" models were quite decent.