Laptop for pen testing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by korrupshun, Aug 1, 2005.

1. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

yes i know this is ANOTHER "i need a laptop" thread....but my requirements are slightly different from that of the other threads....soon i will be working on network auditting/penetration testing and will be requiring a laptop upgrade...

what makes this a special thread is that size can be an issue....i will be headed to europe and need something that will be extremely lightweight, small (dimension wise) and yet fairly powerful....

i know ogre always says asus and i am already looking (so no need to point me there heh)...so i'm hoping there are some pen testers out there who can lay down what they use and why, so i can get a slightly better idea of where to look

again, it must be LIGHT, and fairly small while still retaining some amount of strength

2. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

I'm not sure exactly how light you need it, but the IBM Thinkpad T42 is really sturdy and about 5.3 lbs or so.

Also not sure how much you can spend, but Sony still makes a couple < 11" Vaio notebooks that weigh in under 3 pounds.

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

T series for the win. Plus if you are pen testing you will probably be using Linux or OpenBSD and I have had great luck with OSS on IBMs.

4. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

by light i am referring to <4 lbs....the position will require a good deal of traveling (points to the euro part again ;) ).....and yes ill be running linux

thanks for the suggestions so far, i will be looking into those as soon as i hit submit :)