laptop for computer note taking

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xinster, Feb 20, 2007.

1. xinster

xinster New Member

Where should i get one? I'm looking for something thats at least better than a radeon x300 gpu and has a long battery life/ or just low power consumption.

My friend says costco, i still dont know whether i should get a pc or mac. ive always been a windows fan cause of the customizability and im just used to it.

Is newegg useful for laptops?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Anyone else think we need a sticky titled, Buying a Laptop?? LOOK HERE.

We get like 5 of these a week. Just search this section, you'll find plenty of suggestions on laptops.

Oh and buy a sub you cheep skate!

3. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

do you need one that you can type on, or physically write on?

4. mace

mace i don't read

get one with a small screen and is light.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It would be a good idea, as long as it's not open to random posts, and it gets updated constantly. That would take a lot of effort, though.

I nominate you to do it. :fawk:

6. deusexaethera

Tablets are fun. Asus has a nice one, but I don't think anybody makes a tablet right now that actually has a real video card in it.

7. xinster

xinster New Member

not a tablet.

8. Coottie

:rofl:
    fuck a bunch of that shit...I gotta study. Yeah that's it....study.
    Besides, isn't that why the mods make the big bucks??? To create stickies.

9. deusexaethera

I thought OT was still a money-losing operation?

10. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Tablets are cool... but they don't have the computing capacity that is needed right now. They are doing a lot with the new duo core processing, but give it until the end of 2007 to really invest in one. Laptops aren't really all they are meant to be for note taking yet. I say hold out until tablets really start pushing forward. Shoudl happen by the fall of 07, for next year's college scene ^.^

11. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Tablets? WTF? If you're going to be writing stuff by hand, just use a steno pad or something.

[​IMG]

I use these kinds of pads a lot. Small enough to be portable; you can write on them while walking. Large enough to contain a decent amount of notes.

Carrying a computer around in school or wherever you're going to be may *sound* fun, but the reality is something else. They're heavy, and you will be distracted by their sound, games, power issues, instead of concentrating on what you're trying to learn. Plus, other people may be distracted by your typing, especially when you win Solitaire and can't suppress a chuckle when those cards start bouncing everywhere. Man, I know I can't!

I guess it depends on your specific needs, though.

If you absolutely need access to a computer, for programming etc while mobile, you're going to have a hard time choosing between battery life, weight, and price. If you can avoid carrying around a computer, do so. Your back and wallet will thank you.

12. deusexaethera

Take your "prudence" and your "common sense" and :gtfo:

This isn't about what will work best, this is about being cool.

:mamoru:

13. Coottie

An moderating is a volunteer job, or so I thought. It was a joke dude...perhaps not that funny tho.

14. Coottie

:werd:

and his nic is Supergeek....keep up posts like that SG and they'll take your nerd card away.

15. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

I got so much nerd cred I sell it overseas in bulk quantities. It's becoming the new de facto form of currency in many technologically advanced countries.

"Big Mac and fries? That'll be SG$3.50." (My exchange rate rules, but it's still not as good as the Pound Sterling.)

16. deusexaethera

17. xinster

xinster New Member

in college i also wont have a desktop so... :big grin: im gonna go to costco to see what i can see.

18. deusexaethera

Eh...you'd have to get fantastically lucky to get a good laptop at a reasonable price in a brick/mortar shop.

19. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

If this laptop will be used as your main PC, then you have two choices.

- Large screen, like 15.4 or better. Large screens usually mean heavy, and expensive.

OR

- An external LCD, mouse, and keyboard, and you use a docking port or something.

If you're going to be using a system for more than an hour at a time, you want a decent size and decent quality screen, or you're going to be taking a trip to the optometrist sooner than you expected.

I would suggest an external 19" - 21" LCD, they're pretty cheap nowadays. That gives you the freedom to choose a smaller laptop for portability, while retaining your eyesight when you use it to write papers and read OT every night for 6 hours.

20. deusexaethera

I've got a 17" LG screen, 1280x1024 resolution, with a DVI connection, and I'm still thrilled with it even compared to newer LCDs that try to get away with VGA connections. I have no qualms saying that the option to use DVI is the single most important feature of any LCD screen, large or small.

21. xinster

xinster New Member

well, my friend got an incredibly good deal on a desktop at costco so i kinda assumed theyd stack good laptops too, or at least on par with newegg.

i don't understand much diffs b/w screen qualities, i mean, lcd is better than crt right? Whats best for my poor little eyes? A bigger screen?

22. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Not all LCDs are created equal. You want a high contrast ratio (the difference between darks and lights), true color instead of dithered, and a good brightness rating.

Plus, some cheaper LCDs (and even expensive ones, like Dell) have problems with non-uniform lighting, banding, etc.

Your best bet for seeing if a monitor is good is to look it up on NewEgg.com or Amazon.com and read what the reviewers have to say about that particular model.

And yeah, DVI is superior, but I don't know what laptops if any have DVI output. My laptop is a few years old and I haven't researched them since I bought mine.

23. deusexaethera

Most laptops have DVI outputs, but you usually need a docking station to split out the DVI port from the big "all-in-one" port on the back of the laptop.

High contrast is good, but you want to be careful that the contrast isn't enhanced by increasing the screen's brightness. I was using my brother's computer one day and my eyes were getting really tired, so I got my mother's photometer and measured the light output from a white-filled screen on his computer and on my computer -- his LCD was almost twice as bright when the "brightness setting" was the same on each. When I adjusted his screen to be as bright as mine, the photometer showed that the contrast ratio had dropped from 500:1 to ~270:1 -- my screen is 350:1. Effectively, my brother's cheaper LCD didn't have enough finesse to achieve precise shades of dark grey, so instead they made the backlight brighter to amplify the difference between high and low luminance.

Interestingly, this is one of the many advantages to using DVI; because a DVI signal uses pixel addressing instead of quartz timers to get each pixel's color signal to the right place on the screen, it doesn't suffer from color bleed (which reduces contrast) when logical pixels don't line up perfectly with physical pixels -- with DVI, they always line up.

24. xinster

xinster New Member

if i just turn down brightness will i save my eyes?

25. deusexaethera

The fact that LCDs don't flicker will do you the greatest good, but yeah, just keep the brightness/contrast within reasonable limits; full brightness and high contrast looks nice, but it starts to wear thin after a few hours.