Laptop for College

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Timdog, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Timdog

Timdog New Member

As a graduation gift, my parents are finally going to replace my 5 year old POS laptop (it only has about 45 mins battery when using word...). The college I'm going to suggests getting a Mac and I think I am going to go that route (they offer good technical support for Macs).

Money really isn't an issue, although I'd like to keep it no more than $3500. I'll be using it for Office, some gaming (on windows), and some video editing. Most likely I'll go with the Macbook Pro, but I have some questions:

1. Would you recommend another brand or should I just go with the Macbook Pro since budget really isn't an issue?
    2. Are there going to be any major new releases over the summer like a major upgrade in power or some new battery technology (I want to get it ASAP because my main computer is also 4 years old and really needs to be replaced, can barely play modern games)?
    3. I see the choice between a glossy screen and non glossy, which should I go for?
    4. Anything else I should know about customizing the Macbook Pro? I will most likely go with the 2.6ghz version, would 2GB of RAM be enough for my needs or would the upgrade to 4GB be worth it?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do you want OSX? If so get a macbook pro, otherwise don't.

If you want a PC, a Lenovo ThinkPad is the answer. It's built tough and you'll want that for carrying around everywhere you go and all the abuse you'll likely give it. T61p is the recommended model.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

can you recommend a cheaper laptop. i'm thinking about getting one for my girlfriend for her birthday/xmas present. she doesn't need anything fancy. she will not be burning dvds or playing games. just needs something with wifi and writing word documents.

however, i really don't want to get her a used thinkpad, would prefer something new with a warranty

for the OP: just get a macbook pro. 2gb is fine, but ram is cheap, so get 4gb, just don't buy it from apple. glossy screen gives colors more pop, matte screen gives truer colors. i would say that its preference, i have a glossy screen on my macbook and its just fine for me. i wouldn't worry about major updates for the macbook pro, they slightly change up to the next processor speed and chip each year and usually throw in a bigger hard drive and recently made the screens LED backlit.

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

The Mac laptop line is expected to be updated in June so I'd wait a bit.

If you need a laptop for college, I'd wait until August rolls around... it's not like you need it NOW.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i bought a gateway that was very well equiped for cheap. I'd recommend em. For what they are they're good. Definitely better than any shitbox that dell, toshiba, or sony can sell you. Short of that, look at maybe a HP. Do not get compaq. Some fucktard will try to tell you it's the same as an HP -- it's not. My complaint with the HPs is a really cheesy keyboard/trackpad. The gateway is more solid.

STAY AWAY FROM AMD NOTEBOOKS. Whatever it is, you want INTEL CORE2DUO!

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Go with the screen you like. I had one friend that said with a glossy screen, he could seen people behind him in the reflection and it was enormously distracting.

One of the things to consider, weight. I don't know your body size or type but if you're not strong, you should get the lightest weight notebook you can. When you're carrying around books n shit, the lappy can get awfully heavy. Also don't skimp on a good backpack...it can really make it comfortable for you carry it around.

Now whether to go mac of pc? Well if you're more interested in video editing, I'd say mac. What's your major? I know a lot of creative majors swear by the macs but most of my programming friends swore by the Win-Tel types because of visual studio.

I picked up a Dell because of price/features and I got a great deal from the University. It's been awesome, no matter how many people on here said don't buy a dell. I've had it 2 years and it's pimp. In house repairs FTW....as opposed to Apple where you just drop it off and hope it comes back fixed....meh.

Also if you like games, you can't beat the shear number of games for win-tel combination of comps.

Oh and get as much ram and HD as you can afford.

7. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Killer fast desktop + 9" Eee PC

8. Chris

Chris New Member

9. Timdog

Timdog New Member

My major will most likely be psychology, but I do video editing for fun so it's not a big necessity to have the best for that.

I think I'm definitely going with 4GB of RAM just because it's extremely cheap to upgrade to that with most companies (except for Apple). Since I've started looking at other companies, I think I might go with a Dell XPS or Sager.

However, since people can buy the Macbook/Macbook Pro right through my school and have it waiting for them in the bookstore when they arrive, many have gone that route and around 3/4 of the campus has a Macbook/Macbook Pro(SMALL campus, 2000 people). Support will most likely be really good for those laptops which makes me lean towards the Macbook, but I'm a pretty experienced computer user and have always fixed my problems myself (with forum help of course) so I doubt I'll need the college tech support.

Also, this is what my current desktop looks like:
    AMD 2500+ M (1.8 Ghz)
    1GB PC3200 RAM
    ATI x800 Pro
    80GB 7200rpm Maxtor HD from 6 years ago (250GB Hitachi for storage)

So any upgrade will most likely double if not triple my performance.

How good are the nvidia 8600/8700m series for gaming? Would the 8800 gtx or SLI 8600/8700 be needed to play most modern games (Crysis) at decent settings?

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I've got an NVidia 7900 go in my laptop with 2 gb ram and it's my primary gaming rig. While I can't play Crysis, I don't really want to. Plenty of good DX9 games available.

Just get whatever is most appealing to you. It's likely tho, no matter what you pick, you will at some point wish you had picked the other one. :) yah, I know...it sucks.

11. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

The nVidia 8000 cards are pretty good to game with. They allow to you to use DirectX10 (assuming you are running Vista), and you SHOULD be able to play games like BioShock at decent settings. Crysis, not unless you have a $3000 laptop with an 8800GTX M in it.

If you are going to go for an Apple, don't buy the RAM from them. They rip you off.

12. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

+1 for 2 systems.

Personally I have a desktop and a macbook. it's a good combo.