Laptop died = Owned

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Jul 25, 2008.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Long story short (sort of). My parents laptop stopped responding when they tried to turn it on. I live 1000 miles away, so it was pretty tough to troubleshoot over the phone. Before I could stop them, they took it to some computer shop to have them fix it. The guy comes back and says the motherboard is shot and they don't make a motherboard to fit in that style laptop (HP) anymore. I would naturally assume this guy is just full of shit and trying to sell them a new computer, but he doesn't sell computers...

Anyway...

I need to get the files off of the HD. How should I go about doing this? How "universal" are laptop HD's? Would it fit in another HP laptop? I know you can just plug desktop HD's into another tower...

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i'm not sure about HP but replacing the HD in my dell laptop was one of the easiest things i've ever done. just unscrewed two screws in the side, slid it out, and slid in the new hard drive. i imagine HP wouldn't be any harder, but i don't have one handy.

3. albutt

albutt OT Supporter

at work they have a USB to SATA cable that they just plug into the USB drive and its like having a giant thumb drive, you could try that

4. YourMomOnRyeBun

Hmmm...I am going to have to look into that.

5. YourMomOnRyeBun

The HD is really easy to take out...just don't know if it would fit in another HP, or is the fit unique to that model.

6. bovine

bovine New Member

Yeah. The OP probably wants something like this: http://www.xpcgear.com/cbisatau2.html

Just do a google search for "laptop hard drive USB cable," minus the quotes.

7. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

if it's a SATA laptop harddrive it will most likely fit in any other HP laptop that uses SATA.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

How about just getting a 2.5" enclosure?

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

They're all the same - some have different mounting brackets. There also some ultra-portable laptops that don't conform to the 2.5" standard, but unless it has a 12" screen, chances are it's fine. Take a pic and host it here if you want a 2nd opinion.

10. awns729

awns729 New Member

You can DEFINITELY hook the Hd up to another computer as an external assuming its working. It shouldn't cost morethan $20 for SATA to USB or IDE to USB (IDE its < 2 years old)

11. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

a lot of laptop drives are PATA, with a smaller connector than normal IDE. You can buy a converter which goes onto the back of the drive and makes it possible to plug it in as a normal drive in a desktop.

You could also by an external kit.