Laptop crashes for no reason

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Landfill, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I currently have a hypersonic laptop CX7 Duo (Clevo M570U) and about a week ago the computer under any kind of video stress would just crash for no reason, no warning, just like you pulled the power completely without a battery.

Here are the actions I have taken and the results:

-Cleaned out all vents with air duster (Was clean like always but did it anyhow for the sake of doing it)
    -Tested fans, both worked
    -Ran hard drive check, windows and from boot cd, failed, replaced the hard drive, new one passed, still having the same problem
    -Ran temp monitors, hard drive @ 45 degrees cel, Motherboard @ 35 degrees cel, no temp from the video card (Nvidia Gforce go 7950GTX)
    -Ran mem test, memory was new and it passed anyhow with zero errors
    -Ran 3dmark on AC power, computer crashed
    -Ran 3dmark on battery, completed test no crash
    -Bios and all drivers including windows are up to date

I really do not know what to do at this point, if I had to guess its either the motherboard shorting or failing somewhere along the line maybe even the power intake for it, the video card failing under stress, or the power supply itself is failing and putting out to much power or maybe the laptop is trying to draw to much.

Any ideas to what it might be? Or any sugguestions on what else to check?

2. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

if you are certain it pertains to video, uninstall all video-related drivers/utilities (incl directx if you can) then reinstall

3. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I have done that, even went to the lengths of formatting and starting fresh and it did not help.

4. Landfill

Landfill New Member

It runs on AC power nearly 100A% of the time, I only took a guess to run it off of ac power to see if it would work and it did. It does have a function option to kick the fans to high speed manually if you know you are gaming or if it feels like it is getting warm, even when its on full speed it has crashed before.

5. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

Try again without installing the drivers? (as if you were in safe mode) and see if it still does this?