Laptop Connection to SBS2003

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OakleyTodd, Oct 9, 2007.

1. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

We hired a new guy that will be working from another facility about 40 miles from our office. They bought him a laptop to use for work purposes. The facility he will be at will eventually be bought by our company. In the mean time, he will need to be able to access our network here in terms of office resources and email etc, while at the other facility. How is that done?

Basically I could Google it and follow some how-to's, but I need the correct terminology to search for. I'm by no means an IT guy, I just manage it by default since the last guy quit. Is this something a professional should attempt?

Here is some info about the setups:

Laptop:
    Windows Vista Home Premium

Server:
    Small Business Server 2003

He has access to a wireless signal at the facility that is provided to guests, so that will give him a connection to the outside world.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

if you're using the exchange function of your 2003SBS, you can just direct him to webmail (assuming you have that enabled). To get access to network drives will be trickier because he won't be able to log onto a domain properly and have his credentials stay cached.
    When he gets to the point at which he needs to log onto your network, spend the money on the vista business or vista ultimate upgrade and then he can just hit the domain through a vpn.

3. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

On his computer I can establish a VPN connection through the add network connection manager. I had been wondering all along of that was possible with Vista Home Prem.