Laptop can't see some wireless networks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by teo, Feb 20, 2007.

1. teo

teo . => ? => !

This one's been irritating me for a while, but now that I'm on the road more and connecting to various networks it's become too frustrating to bear. Here's the deal:

- My Gateway MX6951 laptop has an integrated Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network card and runs WinXP Media Center 2002 SP2 (boo, I know... hoping to get to Vista sometime soon)
    - It can see some networks but not others; I don't know what the difference is. I can detect the wireless network at the local library and connect without issue. :dunno:
    - For now, specifically, I'm trying to get it to connect to the router at home. The wireless card cannot detect the router.
    - I know the wireless portion of the router is working because hubby's Toshiba Satellite can wirelessly detect and connect to it just fine.
    - Currently I'm connected to the same router via ethernet, so it's not the internets.

What I've done:
    - Device Manager says it's working properly. :hsugh:
    - Looked high and low for a hardware switch for the wireless but can't find one, so I assume it's always on. :dunno:
    - Tried installing wireless drivers from Gateway site; reboot; no change in behaviour.
    - Tried installing wireless drivers from Intel; reboot; no change in behaviour.
    - Tried fidgeting with wireless connection TCP/IP properties; nothing has helped so far. I've put them back to the defaults and it's still not working. (The wireless should still pick up the presence of a network access point though, regardless of security settings... right? :confused: )
    - Searched Google for known issues, but nothing's come up (although I'm not entirely sure I'm using the right search words).

Help? :hs:

Cliffs: My laptop's wireless network card detects some networks but not others. Can't get it working. WTF?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

No.

If security is turned on there's a decent chance your laptop will not "see" the wireless network.

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

Hm. Thanks, I'll focus on that.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

if you can get to your router config check to see if SSID broadcast has been disabled.

5. teo

teo . => ? => !

Wouldn't that mean hubby's laptop wouldn't see it either?

6. 7960

7960 New Member

If the SSID was changed and he typed in the SSID then he'd connect, but if you're using the default SSID then you won't see the network.

7. teo

teo . => ? => !

I got it, finally... I installed another updated set of drivers. Intel(R) PRO/Wireless apparently isn't the same as Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless... lol. :hsugh: I saw nothing in hardware for the latter, but it was listed for the laptop so I tried it out anyway, and lo and behold...

I also found out that my "hardware" wireless switch is a software wireless switch on the keyboard. :rofl:

He didn't have to type in the SSID and afaik it's never changed; it was just detected by the Toshiba. I don't think we've got anything fancy other than WEP on the wireless network. :dunno: That's good to know for next time something like this happens, though.

Thanks for the help. :)

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Not if hubby's laptop already knows about the network. Think of it like an unlisted phone number -- if you know what it is, you can still call it, you just can't find out about it without asking someone who knows.

EDIT: Oh, you got it to work. Good.