Laptop Battery Tips

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexual Vanilla, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I recently bought a new laptop, and would appreciate tips to maximize my battery's lifetime. The laptop is going to be plugged in for the most part, which is what killed my previous laptop battery. Is it recommended to take out the battery and just run on AC power if I plan on using it as a stationary computer for the majority of the time? Thanks.

Edit: Said laptop is an Inspiron E1505

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Generally, what I do for my laptop is run it on battery till it goes nearly all the way down, then plug it back in and let it charge all the way up. I have an Apple PowerBook G3 and G4 that I've followed this with, and the batteries are still are good as they were when they were new.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Lithium prefers constant topping off rather than deep discharging.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Lithium does not prefer constant topping off. It prefers to not be drained dry, yes, but it does not like to be constantly charged either. If you're going to use the computer plugged in most of the time, pop the battery in once a week to keep it charged, then remove it and put it somewhere safe (i.e. not in a bathtub, or a fireplace, or a hole in the ground).

5. Sexual Vanilla

I figured that because I leave my laptop on and plugged up most of the time, it would be beneficial to take out the battery to keep from killing it.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Same here... I got a XPS M1210 about 3 months back and do the same thing. I keep the battery alarm on 10%. When it goes on, I plug it in and unplug it after the charge is complete. Even though I haven't had the machine that long, I'm getting 3-3.5 hours battery time on average depending on the kind of work I am doing on the machine.

I keep bluetooth turned off, and the screen brightness a click or 2 lower while on battery. I also turn off the wireless when I am not using it, but I usually am.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Lithium batteries are like car batteries, every time you discharge them they loose life. They have a fixed number of discharge/recharge cycles before they fail.

The recommended way to do it is keep the batteries stored at 80% charge, and "top them off" to at least 80% every 30 days or so.

8. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

check the bios -- i know gateway's come with a 'battery learning program'

9. Sexual Vanilla

Is it recommended to take the battery out and run solely on AC power if I plan on using it for "desktop" purposes for an extended period of time? I would think that the laptop would stop charging the battery and run on AC power automatically once the charge was completed. :dunno:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

There are a couple of guys on the Dell support battery forum that have done a ridiculous amount of research on it and they recommend to take them out and store them at ~80% charge. Yes, the system will stop charging when they are charged (otherwise they would explode) but the heat from the system can degrade their lifespan.

11. Sexual Vanilla

Makes sense...that's what I'm doing now. I just wanted to make sure there were no repercussions to running the laptop without the battery as there is now a gaping hole in the bottom of the laptop and it's about a pound or two lighter. :coolugh:

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Well, don't let squirrels nest in there or anything...