Laptop Battery Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Buttseckzman, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Buttseckzman

Buttseckzman New Member

I'm buying a Gateway E155-C for school, and have 2 battery options-the standard 6 cell, or upgrading to an 8 cell.

Is there a significant weight difference? (It's a tablet PC, so this is reasonably important.)

Big battery life difference?

Would the 8 cell battery still be completely contained in the laptop, or would it hang out? (I've never owned a laptop, and don't know how the batteries work.)

Is it worth $40 to upgrade?

2. upparoom

upparoom OT Supporter

it wont hang out

on my D820, the 6 cell gave me 3 hours of battery, the 8 cell gave me 5 hours of life

and there isnt a size difference. very small weight difference.

it was worth the extra 2 hours of life for me because some of my clients are pre-construction so theres not always a plug to power on to

3. Buttseckzman

Buttseckzman New Member

Thanks a lot. Seems like a good idea to get the 8 cell, then.

How long do these batteries usually last until they die out/become useless? This computer needs to be good for the next 3 years, so I'm wondering if it's worth paying almost $60 for the 3 year battery warranty.

4. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Yes it is worth it. The battery will last about 18 months before it shits on you and doesn't hold a decent charge. A new one will run you about $100-$150, so definitely pick up a battery warranty.

5. mattATX

mattATX OT Supporter

My battery died approx 3 days before my warranty was up dell overnighted me a new one. Good thing i called right before the warranty was up. Also if you stay plugged in all the time its a good idea to pull the battery. I mostly use mine while plugged in so i just remove my battery.