Laptop Batteries

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Dec 27, 2003.

?

How do you use your laptop battery

1. Try to drain it

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Try not to use unless I have to

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

How do you use your laptop batteries? Discharge as much as possible or keep it plugged in as much as possible? And why?

2. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

I used to drain it till it was about to die, then recharge, then take it out when I wasn't using it. Either way, after a while it never lasted as long as it used to. :hs:

3. plat

plat New Member

unless you want to drastically reduce the life time of the battery i suggest not draining it.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Lithium Ion batteries used in most laptops have a limited number of Charge/Discharge cycles before they die.

5. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Keep Li-Ion charged...

6. 5Gen_Prelude

What about the problem of tickle charging the battery creating a lower capacity of battery (ie memory). Has this been resolved?

7. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

This question still has me flustered :hs:

I think you would be better of just emailing the manufacturer and see what they have to say.

8. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Well thanks for the links but you don't need to be a dick about it - especially when NO ONE mentioned lower capacity/memory. If you read the responses, you notice that people mention that there are limited number of charges before the LI-ION won't accept charges (ie the life of the battery), but nothing about memory or reducing the capacity of the battery. Please turn off dick mode before entering this forum next time.

10. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I personally never use the battery unless I have to. I generally don't use my laptop as a mobile unit that often.

11. plat

plat New Member

the whole battery memory thing was a huge marketing scam. the only place batteries exhibit that type of behavior was in some test in outer space.

edit: heres the deal on it.

http://www.hippy.freeserve.co.uk/nicdmyth.htm

Last edited: Dec 28, 2003
  12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

NiCAD batteries had memory because they would build up a layer of insoluble crystals every time they where recharged (I can go into the exact chemistry if anyone wants to be that bored). If you didn't cycle them, that layer would eventually block discharge beyond the point at which the layer formed. NiMH does this also, but to such a little extent that they die from Charge/Discharge cycling long before it is a problem. Lithium Ion batteries do not do this at all. They do, however, have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles. For my Dell Inspiron 8300 it's about 500 cycles according to the documentation.

13. 5Gen_Prelude

Okay - use the power supply when possible. The instructions also say to unplug the PS if you're not using the laptop for extended periods. Yay or nay?

14. WPS

WPS f22c1

this is what is says in my manual. does it mean that i have to disconnect the adapter everytime the battery fully charges??

"Maximizing battery life
    AT least once a month, disconnect the computer from a power source and operate it on battery power until the battery pack fully discharges. Before doing so, follow the steps below"
    1 turn off the computer's power.
    2 disconnect the ac adapter and turn on the computer's power. if it does not turn on , go to step 4
    3 operate the computer on batter power for fi ve minutes. if the battery pack has at least five minutes of operating time, continue operating until the battery pack is fully discharged. if the batter light LED flashes or ther is some other warning to indicate low battery, go to step 4
    4 connect the ac adapter to the ocmputer and connec`t the power cord to a power outlet. the dc-in or ac power-light led should glow bluek, and the battery led should glow amber to indicate the the battery pack is being charged. if the dc-in or ac power-light indicator doesn not glow, power is not being supplied. check the connections for the ac adapter and power cord.
    5 charge the battery pack until the battery led glows blue

* if you have extra battery packs, rotate their use.
    * if you will not be using the system for an extended period, more than one month, remove the battery pack.
    * disconnect the ac adapter when the the battery is fully charged. overcharging makes the battery hot and shortens life.
    * if you ar enot going to use the computer for more than eight hours, disconnect the ac adapter.
    * store spare battery packs in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight."

Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  15. plat

plat New Member

sounds like they are trying to get you to kill your batteries so you need to buy new ones.

16. Nick6

Nick6 New Member

I try not to use the battery on my laptop unless I have too or I'm just feeling to lazy to plug my AC adapter in.

17. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

I drained my NiMH pack to nothing, but then the laptop didnt see it, so I popped it open, shocked each cell till they registered a voltage, then put it back in the laptop. At first it was like a perfectly new pack. Now, It won't even finish booting up before it dies from "100%". I have found, however, that right after a complete recharge from a death, the pack will last a while. I think it has internal drainage now... I keep the pack unplugged and only put it in for charing when I expect to go mobile.