Laptop batteries :mad:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Marcos, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Ok, ive researched for info and it seems sony makes very low quality batteries :mad: , or at least they last a stupidly short amount of time.

I have read about users that have had batteries wear down to nothing in 2 months, and that is the reason they only place 30day warranty on the batteries.

I am greatly disappointed in hearing this, not just because the batteries last only a short while, but also because sony sell the batteries at as high a price as long lasting batteries from other manufacturers.

If their batteries dont last long, drop the price!

2. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

I know IBM is having a huge issue from users leaving their batteries in and plugging in to a docking station all day. I replaced a tonne of batteries over a 6 month period because of this.

Yet some users can go years with the same battery.

3. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

So its just random :confused:, as i for one cant afford to pay $300 on new batteries every couple of months :mad:

I do leave mine plugged in alot, but shouldnt such an advanced piece of technology be able to recognize when it should stop charging or sending/receiveing power to/from the battery?

Its really dumb i think. Especially at the price

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The problem is that it keeps topping up the battery since the battery loses its charge regardless. I had pretty good success with plugging in the laptop until the battery was charged and then unplugging AC. Either that or disconnect the battery altogether.

Or simply buy a laptop that is truly smart enough not to cause this problem in batteries ;)

5. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

I was thinking about buying a new battery :(, but the $200-300 i would spend on it could go straight to a new laptop, so i dont think i'll bother, especially as this one is already getting on, and has poor battery life (1.5 - 2hours) even with new batterys.

6. carlin

carlin Guest

my compaq's battery died 3 months in...
    but i got it replaced for free because of the service plan.... :) otherwise it was like 150...

but my old AMS Tech laptop still uses the same battery it shipped with...