Laptop and wireless Networking question in one!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zourn, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

OK, so I'm getting a new laptop, brand new off E-bay, it is an HP that comes with the AMD Athlon 1800+, 1.53 GHz. Would it be reasonable to assume that I could replace it with another AMD chip? Say, an XP mobile 1900+?

When the Laptop comes in, i would like to set up a wireless network. I am trying to find a wireless switch with 4 ports built-in. I will be going with 802.11b simply because i don't want to pay for 802.11g and want more range than the 802.11a offers. I consider myself "decent" at home networking. As in, I can set one up. Wireless Networking is still a mystery to me. I really don't know anything about DNS, WEP, MAC, or NAT. What all do i need to know about these?

All help is greatly appreciated.

2. Zourn

Oh, the laptop will be running XP home, and the "server" computer, is also running XP home. Main objective is to be able to run my DSL wirelessly on my laptop.

Reasons for wanting a switch rather than a router: I would actually rather have a router, but for everything I've tried, I can't get my router to establish a PPPoE connection, even when i follow the instructions from several different sources.

3. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

not sure if you can change the processors because i think the motherboards might be different for the mobile processors... could be wrong there.

as far as wireless.... try the 802.11g router first, PPPoE should work with a lil tweaking. its not hard. i have the b network now and the intranet transfers suck ass and i kinda wish g was out when i was buying all the hardware.

4. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

dont count on changing processors, they are practically fused to the motherboard...

As for wireless...ive still got to learn too

5. Zourn

the cheapest i could find wireless 11g routers were $127.00 and $99 for a card. Total = $226

whereas, 11b routers i can get for $50 and card for $35. Total = $85

I will mostly use it just for surfing OT, watching movies on the go and playing games. No need for fast transfer rates.

If i could find an 11g PCMCIA card and router for <=$150, i would jump all over that.

6. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

I picked up a PCI wireless card and wireless router yesterday at officemax. After rebates it came to 130. Its D-Link stuff running at 22mbps and running my new cable connection. :bigthumb:

7. Zourn

The D-link Airplus networking stuff? Does it really run at 22Mb/s?

BTW, I work at Officemax :O

8. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

Yeah, the very same stuff. Thats what Im gettin right now, a steady 22mbps