Laptop and Function key question.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Aug 10, 2007.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

On my laptop there is a Function button that toggles various things when I press it and some of the F1, F2, etc. keys. For example if I want to have my display on a projecter I press the Fn key and F8.

If the laptop is in a docking station then there is no way to do this. The windows on screen keyboard in XP doesn't have this Function button.

Does anyone know a way this can be done without un-docking the laptop??

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Continue to use the laptop's keyboard while it's docked?

Plus, the projector button can be accessed through the video adapter's propertes.

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Can't use a laptop that is in the docking station because it's closed. The laptop itself has to be closed to "slide" into it.

We're actually trying to get the display switched to an LCD tv. We've looked through all the properties and do not see any way to switch to it.

4. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

I have a ThinkPad with docking station so it is not the same as yours, but hopefully you should be able to figure something out. If I want to use a projector, instead of using the function key, I can go to the desktop properties and then go to the Settings tab. From there I can enable the second monitor which enables the VGA port on my docking port.

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I will look around in the settings when I go back to that office. The other difference that I forgot to mention initially (oops, sorry) is that the laptop is connected dvi to a dell LCD (monitor) but it's connected via s-video to the large LCD TV. Not sure if that matters.

thanks for the details though.