Laptop AMD 64 ???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Mar 21, 2006.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Just got a new laptop for my business...this way I can do my work while not at my office. I have run into a problem though. It's a pretty good laptop (AMD64 3400+ 1 gig ram) but when it is not plugged in it slows down to less than half the speed. I've checked the system info for when its plugged and not plugged and is 2.12 ghz when plugged and like 750mhz when on battery. Is there anything I can do. I need all the power out of this laptop.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Your battery life will really suck if you're running full power on the battery, if you didn't already know.

It's probably using speedstepping or similiar software. You can bypass this a few ways. First is in the BIOS, simply disable it.

Or an easier way would be to Right-Click your background, select Properties. Go to the Screen Saver tab and select the "Power" button at the bottom. Under the Power Scheme tab select "Always On" from the drop down menu. This sometimes overrides the speedstepping settings. if it doesn't you'll have to manually disable it in BIOS.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There might also be some pre-installed software made by the manufacturer that lets you adjust if/when/how much it slows down.

I know it's too late for this advice, but if you're running a lot of programs at once, a Core Duo might have been a better choice.

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Thx guys, i was able to get it to stay at the higher 2.12 ghz. I don't really care about my battery life, b/c i only have it unplugged for a short while anyways. The slowness just bothered me from having it on AC then slow way down to less than half the speed.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What turned out to be the solution?