Laptop advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fifafever, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Fifafever

Fifafever OT Supporter

I need a new laptop for school and I've narrowed my choices down to these two laptops:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4504-4_7-0.html?id=32798447&id=33127634&tag=boxcoco

Both laptops are available at stores near me. The HP C2D is $787.61 is and the Compaq AMD is $677.99. The price difference is quite significant and I'm wondering if the difference in performance is worth it. I figure the C2D laptop can be quite a bit faster because of the Intel CPU (despite a lower clock), 5400rpm HD (vs 4200), and the 8400M GPU rather than the 8200M. I'll mainly use the laptop for school and I might do some light gaming on it.

If you have any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them but keep in mind that I need it shipped to Canada.

2. Chris

Chris New Member

If it were me Ide go for the cheaper one

3. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

Personally, a $100+ difference in price isn't enough to warrant picking the Compaq over the HP. But that's just personally speaking.

Just stick with the HP and you'll be happier with it overall. The Intel chip will lift the Turion out of it's shoes. Oh, and the 8200M is integrated, meaning it has no VRAM of its own, so it borrows system ram in order to function.

My old roommate had a Compaq and not only did it feel crappier than my then 1 1/2-year old HP, it also ended up getting sent to the computer repair shop more often. :)

4. Fifafever

Fifafever OT Supporter

Thanks for pointing out the fact that the 8200M isn't discrete like I thought it was.

5. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8200m_g_mgpu.html

One of the mistakes I made when buying my first laptop was integrated memory.

Nothing like 3 years of struggling with a ATi Radeon 7000 to learn me up some.