Lap top Monitor stoped working

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Ripper, Sep 20, 2008.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

So I got this lap top today from a freind and he needed help fixing it. The monitor is lit but you cant see anything on the screen. I opened it up and everything is connected properly. If you bend the lap top screen at a certain angle the monitor will instantly turn back on.

I tired rolling back the drivers and system restore before I opened it up. He hasnt done any software changes. I connected a monitor to the lap top and the only way the secound monitor will work is if I boot up in safe mode. When I boot up in safe mode the lap tops monitor is still fubared.

Im thinking he might need a new monitor or the video card is messed up?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you can see the bootup screen, the screen is fine and it's a software problem. If you can't see the bootup screen, then either the video card is fucked, or the wires are fucked, or the motherboard as a whole is fucked.

3. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

you cant see the boot up screen even when I put it in save mode I have to hit it and then the first thing I will see is the windows loading screen.

4. deusexaethera

When you have the external monitor plugged in, then can you see the bootup screen?

In any event, it's not the motherboard, and probably not the video card either, if the computer actually boots up. It's hard to say whether it's the LCD or the internal video connection that's hosed, but when it comes to laptops I prefer to let the OEM handle repairs -- the shit inside a laptop is just so proprietary it's like learning how a computer works all over again every time you do anything more complicated than adding RAM or swapping a CD drive.

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

No you cant see any of the boot stuff when the external is connected. Its running through the boot process but the external monitor doesnt kick on untill you see the windows xp load screen and bar. Thats the first thing you will see. From their you wont have an issue with the external any more.

Im with you on this one. I dont like dealing with lap tops unless its just to change ram or a hard drive. Once you have to start figuring out how to open it up and all of that stuff its a learning experience every time. I just got done with mine a few weeks ago and it was a pain in the ass.

ON A SIDE NOTE
    BTW I dont know if you remember the issue I was having with my hd going bad but I finally diagnosed it when I swapped out the HD for a good HD and it was giving me the same error. We ended up finding out the mother board was fried.

6. deusexaethera

I think I'm feeling your pain at the moment; my RAID array is working flawlessly in my spare computer, but Windows absolutely positively will not install when the RAID array is plugged into the computer it belongs in. I'm starting to suspect my fancy Asus motherboard with its nVidia chipset isn't all it's cracked up to be, not least because I noticed that when I was benchmarking it, pretty much all of the scores came out a little lower than they did back when I was using an older mobo with an "inferior" VIA chipset.

Bitches and hoes.

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

life sucks