MIL Language school

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by QuickHitCurepon, May 22, 2008.

1. Did anyone else take a language course while in the military?

I graduated at the top of my class in Chinese at the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center www.dliflc.edu in 1979. It was a really great experience!

My lifelong friend, who joined the Air Force the same week as I did, just retired as a Senior Master Sergeant a year ago with about twenty-eight years of service. He also took a language course when he was assigned as an attache at the American Embassy in Armenia. Although, he took a short-course in Armenian. There was a lieutenant who was in charge at the embassy during his stay. When she left on trips, he was in charge. He had quite a responsibility.

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

high five mtn view crew

i wish i did dlab

but i wasn't a citizen

3. So you tried and they wouldn't let you because you're not a citizen?

Where are you from?

4. They should have let you or should let you. I'm sure you'll love it. I was on Cloud 9 when I was learning it. My classmates and I talked to each other non-stop in Chinese and when we went places. A real thrill. :)

5. I didn't know what I wanted to do, really, when I joined. I just mentioned to my recruiter that I did reasonably well in Spanish for a couple of years in high school. And right away, he suggested I take the dlab (Defense Language Aptitude Battery) and I did well on it. I was surprised when I got the results and happy to accept his recommendation.

6. kazimer

kazimer New Member

sounds like a blast. i really wished i had the opportunity to goto DLI without giving up the army officer cash bonus
    ni hao ma?

i took mandarin for 2 years while in college. that was about 6 years ago but i still remember the basics...we used to have OT threads in pinyin and i could follow and contribute quite easily

7. Hao, hao, ni ne? Shi zuihao ni xueguo zhonguo huo...wo ai le!

I haven't used it much for quite a while so I might've made a mistake. lol

I started a game at thoughts.com where people can write things in Chinese. And I would like to blog in Chinese after I make a home page at www.paoypao.net but I have to learn how. I just started on the computer not long ago. Paoypao means run a little. I always loved that Chinese expression.

Man zou.

8. Can they make more OT threads in pinyin? I'd enjoy that. It would give me an incentive to sit down, study, and learn some of the language again.

9. kazimer

kazimer New Member

wo ye hen hao. wo xihuan zhongwen, keshi wo ye xue hanguowen suoyi..err i forgot howto say "i get confused" :o

we did the pinyin threads back in 2002 when there was a different breed of OT members. i think everything "asian" gets lumped into one thread and it is mostly of korean and japanese speakers.

pinyin threads definitely challenged my understanding of the language and also helped me to progress much quicker

10. That was neat. Hanguowen? Is that Japanese?

We should start a thread or do it on this one and just talk Chinese. What do you think? It'd be lots of fun and again it would get me to study, which is hard for me.

11. kazimer

kazimer New Member

sounds good, i would love to get back in to studying chinese.
    hanguo is korea
    riben is japan

were you an interrogator, linguist, or analyst. what was your job in the military?

12. kidhero

yeah i scored 98 on asvab and aced the language test, knew/spoke mandarin and spanish already, and they wanted me to take the single intell reserve slot they've been trying to fill for a year. but no citizenship no can do.

got assigned as a TMO but got pulled out of that in the middle of boot camp as well when they realized that needed citizenship as well. next thing i know i became a combat engineer working with demolitions. :mamoru:

13. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Get your citizenship while you're deployed. Then you can change your MOS and use some of those mad leet skillz yo. :hsugh:

14. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

Service Guarantees Citizenship.

15. kidhero

they won't let me go back to dlab :wtc:

16. After I left DLI and went to Goodfellow AFB, in San Angelo, TX, I started with my briefings and then I got my final orders and SEI security clearance. (BTW it's funny, San Angelo is where that FLDS CPS polygamist children's hearing is taking place.) Do you remember in 2001, there was a naval plane with aviators on board, and they collided with a Chinese jet fighter, taken hostage, and later released? My orders were to do that same exact job exact in an Air Force plane.

Unfortunately, I ran into quite a few problems just before I would finish my training in TX. I had never done drugs or drank alcohol in high school.

The first time I got drunk was at the NCO club at DLI with my classmates. We played a drinking game where we went around the table counting in Chinese. They kept filling up my glass, I didn't even get a chance to pour my own beer, and I kept drinking. They had to carry me out of the club and someone gave me a ride to the barracks. I threw-up in their car. lol

I also found quite a few classmates and a roommate of mine doing drugs. So I started with that too, smoking pot. I got together with them on my drive to TX. We were supposed to meet at the exit for the Grand Canyon. Stupid plan of mine. We did meet up miraculously when my '67 Volvo overheated in NM. I was waiting on the side of the freeway, when one of my friends tapped on my car. They had found me somehow. That guy, I remember, had said he had pot laced with PCP not long before we graduated DLI. We smoked pot that night after we met up in NM. I think it was laced with PCP because I started having lots of problems coping that night.

I eventually turned myself in for drugs, in order to get help. I lost the Chinese job and my security clearance was reduced to Top Secret. After that, I went to FE Warren AFB in Cheyenne, WY and was in the motor pool in the 90th Trans. I had great fun driving in the snow for the first time. I was dispatcher and other jobs. My best job was driving base taxi. One time I was on my way to a missile silo with a civillian driver. I fell asleep on the way and I woke up back at the base, 'cause I was sleeping.

Oh well. But I did have that very positive experience at the Presidio of Monterey, anyhow. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2008
  17. I bet you could still get into the intelligence position. Our government is begging for people, who already have Arabic and Chinese speaking abilities. Are you planning to change your MOS soon? You could still ask for language training.

18. Wo kanykan ni hai shi zai lujun (army), dui bu dui? :cool:

19. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

why the hell not? :ugh2:

20. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

yup...graduated dli in july of last year in pashto

i miss monterey :hsd:

21. Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. OT Supporter

I didn't take a language course, but I did pass the Russian Language Proficiency Exam and made $100 extra every month in FLPP pay while deployed in Kuwait.

22. Good avatar, I used to see that in my rear view mirror lots of times until I was twenty-four.

I really liked Monterey, while I was at dli. I've had the advantage that most of my life I have lived only ninety miles from there in the San Francisco Bay Area. I went back many times to the Presidio of Monterey Museum (POMM) a few years back, sometimes with my wife, who is from Chile, S.A. I even got to take a Public Affairs Office bus tour of the base one time and, I was thrilled to see the old barracks again.

*Good info and pics of the monuments at POMM:

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/volker/mty_historypath03.html

The best view in Monterey is on the hill above POMM, where the Sloat Monument commemorates the taking possession of California, by Navy Rear Admiral John Drake Sloat. The American flag was raised there on July 7, 1846, during the Mexican-American war.

*About the Sloat Monument:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:text:2000.02.0064&query=line=#68

23. I was really glad I didn't get Russian at dli. I couldn't relate to it. How did you learn Russian?

My next door neighbor for forty-seven years to my mom's house in Palo Alto, CA was Russian. Her husband, who died in the 60's, was a well-known professor at Stanford Univ.

24. c.a

c.a New Member

DLI grad here, korean.

25. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

i miss that view so much :hs:

id really like to go back as prior service...i bet its a whole different experience because while monterey was awesome...the 311th...was NOT