SRS Landlord attempting to extort goods and services (fucking ew!) from me, what to do.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MSIGuy, Jul 8, 2009.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Okay quick background info. I've had 2 shitty roommates in the past. They both skipped out on the lease without paying rent so they owe the landlord money, I'm trying my best to make payments (I am behind a few hundred after having to pay off their part of the water/electricity bills.)

I've told my landlord I'm trying to find a new place to live. Fast froward to today, I'm sleeping and my landlord knocks on my bedroom door--WTF? He without calling, without knocking, without ringing the doorbell, just unlocks my deadbolt and come on in. Then he bitches at me about the other people (and my small amount) of money owed to him. I understand where he's coming from and told him I expect to be out by the end of the month. He says that's not good enough.

This is where it gets weird. I'm a fat college kid :)rofl:) he's an old (presumably gay) man who's a prominent business owner in my town. He then starts saying, "I'm going to start the eviction process unless I get something right now." I explained to him that work's late on my check and I have no money on me right now. He replies "Well, maybe we can work something out. Give me your TV or I'm going to evict you." My response "No... :ugh:" He says, "Well, how about all that camera gear there on the table" (I'm a photography student at the local college) I told him, "I need that for my job..." Then he says, "Well, we need to work out some sort of exchange of goods or maybe services you can give me to make this go away." :ugh:

WTF!

My response was "I think you need to leave, this conversation is over now."

So basicly my question is this, WTF do I do about this?! I read what I could and found that the renter/tennants rights pretty much say he can enter the apartment whenever he wants, he should call or knock, but doesn't have to, okay. What about the extortion? I feel fucking weird knowing that some old bastard that's comming onto me (me!) has access to my apartment 24/7 and is looking to get his rocks off.

What do I do, the Police said they don't handel this sort of thing? I'm out of here as soon as I can find a place, but what about then? How long does the eviction process take? If this pervy old dude breaks into my apartment again what rights to I have as far as telling him/throwing him out of my place?

And no, I'm not taking him up on his offer. :squint:

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

isn't the eviction process at least 30 days? find something before then or get on your knees :mamoru:

3. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Take it to small claims court or your tenancy tribunal if you have one.

Check your residential tenancy act if you have one.

Take him to court with any sort of proof you have. You will most likely win, with the fact that he entered your property without notice or there being any sort of emergency.

We run many small to large buildings and have been to court multiple times.

4. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

:squint: :rofl:

Does anyone know what the rules on recording audio (and possibly video) in your residence is? I know this fucker is going to come back and try this shit again, is it legal for me to record our conversation without informing him? Do I have that right in my own home? He does own one of the larger businesses in town and if I had a record of him doing this shit maybe he wouldn't try to extort shit from me.

This whole situation fucking sucks. :wtc:

5. bluefox1081

bluefox1081 New Member

It's legal in your state for a landlord to let himself into your apartment without previous notification? :eek3:...never heard of that.

6. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

You need to find out if you are in a one-party-consent state

Maybe this site can help you out

http://www.aapsonline.org/judicial/telephone.htm

7. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Here's what I found about the landlords right of entry.

See, if I did something like that wouldn't they just say "or the tenant is in a substantial violation of the provisions of the lease or rental agreement." was cause for him to enter? I'll be honest, I am slightly behind on the rent. (I've been trying to make it right, but I'm currently fighting with work over non payment for a job I did May 2, 3, and 4th.)

Also like I said, he's a "respected" business owner in town, I'm just some college kid. If I go before a court aren't they just going to side with him? :wtc:

8. 7960

7960 New Member

by "services" you keep implying something gay.........maybe he was thinking you could start mowing the lawn or something?

9. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

The landlord may not abuse the right to access or us it to harass or intimidate the tenant.

It sure sounds like he did it to harass you.

10. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

No, he didn't. And sorry you had to take the time to move this thread... I didn't know the Asylum was the right place for this, I was asking about legal advice, contracts, ect, not crying and cutting myself because my girlfriend left me.

11. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Well if we go to court it's basically his word against mine right? Maybe I'm wrong but why would a judge give a fuck about me over a middle aged business owner?

12. 7960

7960 New Member

nothing you've said seems to say he implied anything gay.

the asylum is the general self help forum, so post here if you want general advice about contracts or if you want to cry and are thinking of cutting yourself becuase your boyfriend left you.

13. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I see what you did there... funny, questioning my sexuality like that... :rolleyes:

14. 7960

7960 New Member

I don't know you and don't care about you. I just find it interesting that you're immediately jumping to "he's gay" because he offered to let you work off your bill.

You've said more than once that he's a respected businessman........maybe he's giving you the option to wash dishes in his restaurant, or shovel shit at his zoo, or carry wood at his construction site........... when he said "or services" was he sliding his hand up your leg or shoving his hand down his pants?

15. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Why don't you take those past roommates to small claims court and get your past due rent from them!? If their name is on the lease, and they haven't paid rent it's a relatively simple case for the judge - most times just the letter showing date = quick settlement outside of court.

16. bluefox1081

bluefox1081 New Member

According to these laws, it sounds like he was breaking the law. How far overdue are you with rent and how much? Contact the county clerk and get a more detailed description of what "substantial violation" actually means.

Not necessarily. The judge would rule in your favor because of the law. Far too many landlords get away with shady renting practices because the people getting screwed just sit on their asses and let it happen to them. If he is breaking the law, it's your responsibility to bring it to the attention of the courts.

17. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

lol @ u

I would have kicked his ass and said he started it. His word against mine :hsughno:. I don't like trespassers.

18. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Not exactly what happened. I could have written out the whole conversation word for word for you to help convince you, but you're just not important enough or worth my time. I guess you'll either have to accept that it was not as innocent as it seems or don't, I don't fucking care.
    No, he wasn't giving me that opportunity. I had asked about that before and it was shot down. You weren't there so stop telling me your story of the event. If you want to fucking help then do so if not why don't you get the fuck out of this thread? What, because you're some sort of mod you're special and allowed to be a douche bag to people when they're asking for help?

Fuck you.

19. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I don't like them either, but evidently he has some "right" to be here. I did let him know that I didn't appreciate how he just walked in and told him that if one of my friends was at my place and didn't know him (the landlord) that I wouldn't be surprised if he got his ass kicked.

20. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

Don't let 7960 get you all riled up he selectively moves threads all the time. That guy definitely wanted you to suck his dick.

21. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

you read the law yourself. His contract can't override state law. Here they have to give you 24 hours notice and need a valid reason for coming in.

22. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

:rofl:

But seriously, I didn't read in 7960's tone the way you guys did...

23. 7960

7960 New Member

djshotglass is just mad because he made himself look stupid (again) and I pointed it out.

24. GFlem

GFlem New Member

IMHO you need to contact your old roommates and get the money from them for putting you in hock with an invasive gay rapist.

25. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I don't know him... how am I supposed to know how to read his tone? :hsugh: