MMA Landed my first armbar in free training today!

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by VanCandy, Sep 11, 2007.

1. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Ahhhh feels so good when you get it down right.

Me and a friend enrolled in BJJ and today was our 10th or so class maybe. End of the class we get to free train for 10 minutes, 2 5 minute rounds. First round I roll with my normal training partner, who is about 25-30lbs heavier than me and the same height. I pull guard pretty soon, as I feel I work better from my back. Look for quite a few diff subs before finally isolating an arm and swinging a leg over to land the armbar. He rolls, ends up getting his feet under him a bit. But I manage to roll over on to my side, taking him down and he ends up tapping to the armbar. Almost got him in an X choke at the end of the time but he managed to escape. (although he did say there was a good 6-7 seconds where he couldnt breathe).

Anyways, after that I rolled again with someone of about equal experience, but the guy had to have like 40-50 lbs on me. He landed an armbar and I instantly tapped becuase there was no escaping it. At the very end of the round I almost landed a north-south choke but the bell rang just as I was reaching with my left hand to grab my right wrist and really lock it down.

Anyways, none of these submissions have actually been shown to me. I watched instructionals on youtube to see how to get a north-south choke and an armbar. (and a few others)And I have no idea how to even attempt to escape the armbar, like I said it hasnt even been introduced yet. (We have been shown an ankle lock, a kimura from the headlock, an x choke (is that what its called?) and the guilliotine) The rest has been different throws and escapes from basic clinches. So, any tips?

2. miek

miek New Member

I've never heard of an x-choke before (doesn't mean that's not what it is called, I'm kind of new as well). Can you describe it, or link us to the vid you saw it from?

Oh, and good to hear your training is coming along well. I tapped a blue belt for the first time the other day :bigthumb: I was so pumped, even though he tapped me twice after that I didn't really care :rofl:

3. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Um, you reach your hands towards the back of thier gi collar. With both your wrists crossing in front of thier neck, forming an x. Then you reach way back in to thier collar and force your wrists arms apart, hence putting pressure on the sides of thier neck. Works pretty well. I think they called it an X-choke, but maybe not. Ill try to find a video. (This is one i havent seen before online, just showed it today in class.)

EDIT: I did find the name of it. Its called the Cross Collar Choke. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22IjQWca3_A

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  4. miek

miek New Member

Ohhh ya ya, I know what you're talking about.

What I usually do is stick my hands in as deep as possible in the collar (so your thumbs on each hand touch) and curl your wrists into your chest as hard as you can. Seems to do the trick for me, and it also seems like it would be easier instead of forcing your arms apart like that, but I guess it depends on the situation.

5. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I love that choke.

I made some kid's head turn purple with it when he wouldn't tap and didn't realize he was being choked.

6. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Nice homie, keep learnin.

7. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Well, I wasnt really asking how to do the cross collar choke any better. I think I got that one down pretty well. Its just the armbar I had no idea to escape from. Stand and jam thier legs up so they cant extend maybe? I dunno

8. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

http://www.bjpenn.com/learn/index.php?article_id=365