LAN BT&P2P speeds limited, ways around this?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mike_the_Tank, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Mike_the_Tank

Mike_the_Tank OT Supporter

I'm on a network at my university and there is obviously tons of bandwidth available because when I download or upload from the internet speeds are amazingly high. 600+ kb/s

But whenever I use bittorrent or any P2P program it seems like they limit the available bandwidth for this. I can only get about 30 d/l and 20 u/l. And I guess this is understandable.

Can someone explain to me how they are doing this? and is there any way around it?

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Just because the university has a big fat pipe, it doesn't mean the people you're getting files from, or sending to, do.

If you have a 1in pipe but water is coming in through a soda straw, then that's all you're going to get. And vise versa, if you have the 1in pipe but they have a soda straw they can only get what the straw can handle.

Plus keep in mind most people on P2P/BT networks are uploading to more people than just you...so that makes the straw even small

3. Mike_the_Tank

Mike_the_Tank OT Supporter

i get taht, but it's just that they all seem to run at the same speed
    i have adsl at home and this is painful compared to that

i'm not saying you are wrong, but i'm pretty sure they do something to control it

4. samm

samm Next in Line

They are probably using a packetshaper to control the bandwidth allocated to peer-to-peer programs.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

As for BitTorrent, you need to open up certain ports on a router to get good speeds. Being at a University, that wont happen. And plus, like said above, they are probably doing something to control the speeds you are getting.

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Like all have said - they are owning you :)

Basically HTTP uses port 80 - they probably have that wide open.
    P2P uses (I dunno) but they can limit how much bandwidth that port can have.

Nothing you can do.