A&P Lame, my site admin has unnonounced quit supporting his software / online service

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Mar 24, 2008.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

A friend of mine (CS major / photographer) created an online wire service type deal called Photocore. He let me and quite a few friends use it for free in exchange for user feedback. I offered to pay multiple times, but he kept turning down my offer. I said when I got up to 1 GB of transfer a week, then I would start paying and he said fine. Whenever I would call / email him with a bug / suggestion the reply was always the day of.

Well, as time went on, call backs got slower and slower and he talked more and more about how busy he was with his real job. The past 3 weeks I have not received an email or callback and my site is largely non-functional. Online printing is broken, and I can not create new galleries. The same story holds true for all the friends of mine who were using the service. His largest client is USpresswire. www.USpresswire.com still seems to be up and running.

I'm not complaining really since I never paid for it in the first place, but I am annoyed at the way he quit supporting the software since he knows that some of us actually do use our sites for business purposes.

Basically, the whole point of this thread, is that I now need to move my archive (or part of it) to a new online photo service. Only one I've seen so far that looks decent is Photoshelter. Any recommendations? It needs to:

1. Have a simple upload process (FTP I would hope, no web-aps please) that can identify IPTC metadata to automatically create galleries (based on the headline)
    2. Be searchable
    3. Allow for user downloads of fullsize images
    4. Allow for online printing.
    5. Not be made of fail and AIDS.

The more similar it is to www.sammorganphoto.com the better.

Also, I have already looked at:
    Flickr
    Pbase
    SmugMug

And none of them really appeal (although SmugMug uses EZ Prints.... the same site that did the printing for my old site).

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Did you really just spell unnounced? Wow

3. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Sucks because I actually do know how to spell unannounced.

I think I was typing the thread title when my GF called and forgot to spell check it.

EDIT: Yes, call time and thread creation time match.

4. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

in for this, currently using flickr but i'd like something more personal.