Lag (when playing games) after reformat

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by machine, Apr 10, 2004.

1. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

I reformated for the first time in 3 years of having the computer the other day, and now after reinstalling programs such as Steam, and installing Counterstrike, I find that I literally can't play the games because of the extend of the lag I'm getting.
    I ping fine, with a latency of only 30 or 40 at some servers, but I constantly spike up to 300+, causing me to freeze for a good second or two and ending up on the other side of the room after the spike. I dont know what could be causing this - maybe someone here has an idea (and step-by-step instructions on how to do them :big grin:)?
    Note that I'm on a wireless network, using a Linksys router and a netGear receiver. However, I don't think that is the problem because I've had an identical setup before the reformat, and I wasn't lagging at all. So any ideas would be awesome.
    Thanks a lot guys!

2. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

the wireless will slow it down some. Upgrade your video card drivers off whoevers website your card is. That will solve your problem. Turn your refresh rate up on your monitor if you can. if you have an LCD, dont do it. Make sure your hardware acceleration is on Full. Let me know if this helps :big grin:

3. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

i've already done all those things :s
    It improved a bit - now I only lag once a minute, but it never happened before, so if there is any way to get it back to what it was like I'd like to do that.
    I also get the occasional cl_entity_flush_packet (or something very similar), which i never used to get. I lag out, and this message appears in the top of the screen, and then my latency goes back to normal.

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

May seem simple but drivers? Check your drivers for monitor, video card, and receiver.

I know I built a computer for work a week or two ago and surfing the web was horrible - whenever you scrolled down a page it would come at you all jittery - installed all drivers and it went away :)

5. NTNguyen

NTNguyen Guest

If you have a Via chipset, install the mainboard drivers.
    There's a particular order you have to install the drivers by:
    1. mainboard driver
    2. graphics card driver
    3. then the other drivers

I once didn't do it that way, and I had about 40 frames when playing Unreal Tournament!
    Installing the drivers right: 100+ frames

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2