SRS Lack of passion/purpose

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CT Cubs Fan, Mar 27, 2010.

1. CT Cubs Fan

CT Cubs Fan New Member

I should preface this by saying I lead a pretty charmed life. I have little debt from college and will probably soon be enrolled in a graduate school. I currently live and work abroad. I'm aware that compared to many situations I have it pretty damn nice.

Still, there's been something nagging at me. I have a real lack of passion in my life. I have nothing that drives me and my graduate school is more of a "lack of anything better to do" type situation. Has anyone here dealt with this? It's a really crippling apathy that's been making me pretty miserable as of late.

2. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

When you take this world at face value there isn't much to be passionate about. With that said, I think most people lack passion for what they do. I think you really need to dig deep and explore to find something that your passionate about.

3. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

I'm just reading into your past based on what you've written but maybe you'll find some worth in things if you cut the umbilical cord and become independent.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Have you ever tried the real estate bussiness?, that's a challenge for you right there right now.

5. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Buy a game boy and find something worth while to worry about.

6. half zip

half zip New Member

A man needs a purpsoe above all else in life. So your purpose right now should be finding a purpose.

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Honestly I don't know how to answer. I used to feel apathetic then I began working and dated many more women. Looking back, I think I was much more passionate back then....after University....but that might just be "glorification of the good ole days".

I feel somewhat apathetic about life right now and not really passionate....but I'm also single and not really dating anyone.

For me passion seems to come on strongly and has a lot to do with the woman in my life. But then again, I've been passionate about things like my motorcycle, programming, my house, my friends/family, etc and all at different times so I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the things/people in my life.

I've noticed recently that very often I just need to shut the fuck up and enjoy life. I mean I really can make a good situation look pretty rotten when I'm examining it over and over and over again. Most times when I just shut up and stop analyzing, I'm usually pretty happy. Now passionate.....hmm....well, I haven't had much passion in my life lately. Hmm....I should work on that. Perhaps I'm just confusing passion with lust.

8. jim1234664

jim1234664 New Member

feel the same way often, in for cure

9. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

How do I fly? To fly you need to learn to fly. Then you will fly.

10. Japan Four

Japan Four Guest

read mans search for meaning by victor frankl. I felt the same as you, and this book is one of the things that changed my view/life.

11. Seeders

Seeders OT Supporter

I came to this forum to post something similar. I just graduated from university and got a good paying job. But there isn't anything to do now really. My friendships have been suffering because I can't get excited about anything, my personality has taken a dive, and i almost never have anything to say or converse about. I have a passion for computers, but they dont have any value in my social life. I used to have a great group of friends, but they all left this city after they graduated and we're all split up now. I have friends in town, but they're different and I haven't been able to be myself around them and I'm not sure why.

I used to play sports in highschool, and that was great...i really miss it. Maybe I should look into some soccer leagues in town and see if i can get some friends to join with me.

I hate waking up without anything to look forward to. Lately its just been work->work->smoke pot->play video games->sleep->repeat

12. moonlight

moonlight New Member

:) yeah i agree with you. I'm not passionate about anything.

13. tibbar

tibbar aww fennec foxah aww

Blow away all your money, then fight your way back to having it. That will give you some passion.

14. Jester

Jester OT Supporter

I was writing something that was far from concise, so I dropped it.

The real thing is this: think about what you want your life to be like in 5-10 years. A lot. Do a lot of fun stuff and make sure you mix it up. Gain some social experiences and great memories. After a while, you can put it all in perspective, and you might have found a goal.

Realize that you might be looking for answers, but that you might not even be asking the right questions yet.

15. Jester

Jester OT Supporter

And if you're looking for things to do to make yourself feel better while you figure out what you want down the road, concentrate on improving yourself.

Exercise, eat right, take care of your hygiene, and stay active socially, more than a day or two a week.