MMA lack of judo in mma

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by kroneX, Oct 25, 2008.

1. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Why is it every time i see a judo guy in mma and applies their throws to no gi, they do really well (ie: nakamura, shinya aoki, karo parysian). Then you have judo guys that do not apply their judo throws in competition (soko)

I do not understand it, as a guy who trains in bjj and judo it is a big advantage to take a guy down like that. I think its because wrestling has a bigger following, but i do not understand why so few judo guys compete when they already have two of the most important tools in the game (takedowns and ground game)

Can anyone help me out here?

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

lack of no gi judo training?

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i think its pretty simple. judo is a martial art that doesnt encourage you to cross train.

There aren't that many judo guys who transition into doing bjj.

There are a LOT of bjj guys who would LOVE to learn judo, or at least have a big appreciation for it (myself included)

there aren't that many judo guys who care to learn a striking art.

there are a LOT of bjjers who are interested in cross training in a striking art.

International judo competitions bar athletes from competing in judo once they enter mma. Yoshida for example cannot compete in the judo world championships.. etc

4. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

source? this seems pretty ridiculous to me...

5. teep

teep New Member

seems ridiculous, but doesn't surprise me at all. i agree with chechen 100% about the attitude of alot of the judo community. i got to train with one of koreas olympic coaches for judo once and he poo pooed on jiu jitsu, wrestling, MMA, etc. wouldn't have any of it.

6. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Its true. The Judo people want to keep their sport pure

7. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

i went from judo to jits, and while it surprised people in terms of taking them down, i often got swept and subbed once i got people down :o

i sucked though ;)

8. teep

teep New Member

thats like me when i started. i'd hit these big takedowns on everyone and get subbed within 5 seconds of hitting the mat :o

9. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

lol, thats what happens whenever new wrestlers come into our school. theyll take me down with a sick double leg, and ill end up triangling them or an armbar, then they get all mad and just try to use brute strength on me :mamoru:

10. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

oh, and i love it when theyre in my guard and they try to use a freaking can opener on me, haha. armbarzzzzzz

11. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

I actually had someone say I needed to use my strength and size more to my advantage :o

12. kroneX

kroneX New Member

uh i think we are getting a bit offtopic, and i do think this is ridiculous and untrue
    Shinya Aoki trains judo and has a judo black belt, yet he competes in MMA, i would like the source of where you make that assertion from. It could be true, but it seems a bit rediculous to me.

However even if it were true it wouldn't stop all judoka from going into mma or even training other fighters in mma about the art of judo, so why arn't we seeing more of it? especially when players are clinched against the rope or on the fence like karo does.

13. chechen

does shinya aoki compete in judo currently? NO

14. chechen

many old school traditional judoka view entering MMA as a betrayal to their martial art.

thats one reason why there has been such hesitation for kosei inoue to enter MMA.

15. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I train judo and i have not felt any of this betrayal to the art because i train in bjj, nor do the guys that train in boxing and judo. I havn't head or anything like this but id like to hear more about it, give us sources

16. chechen

i think its an old school mentality and you might have a harder and harder time running into it.

ive read on many forums about world class judoka having qualms about getting into mma because of how the judo world views it.. especially in japan.

i know in japan judoka view bjj as a waste of time, and will try to smash you if you go to the judo clubs there.

17. kroneX

kroneX New Member

hmm whenever i watched japanese MMA fights the i always thought the crowd was much more technically aware and had a deeper appreciation of the ground game, and you never heard booing whenever the fight went to the ground in pride either.

Makes me kinda doubt your claims without source, if ya gave me a reliable source id be happy to beleive you, but you can understand my skepticism without it i hope.

But i hope you are right that it is a old school mentality that will hopefully disappear and see some great judokas in the mma scene :big grin:

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

bingo, alot of the people that take judo dont want anything to do with it because people dont understand how big judo is. Guys that are career judo players live breathe and eat judo they dont care about anything else.