SRS Lack of disicipline can be irritating - drinking

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kytro, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Kytro

Kytro I am become death, shatterer of worlds

I'm going to lay it out, any feedback would be nice:

1. I don't have any concerns by about "drinking too much", I am concerned by having more than I plan to have.

2. I find it hard to accept others support as I tend to get irritated if they get critical. Eg: I'll say that I will only have 2 beers in a given night, but then drink 4 and my wife will remind me about what I said be then I tend to get irritated at the (percived) criticism.

3. I am thinking about imposing a "glass ceiling" but I can see in the back of my mind the conflict already starting.

I guess the point is I have trouble limiting myself sometimes, and usually when I am stressed.

I can't tell what is worse, drinking or stress.

2. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

If there was a loud tapping from your car's engine because it needed oil you have two options.

A Add oil.

B. Turn up the radio and keep driving.

3. Kytro

You are saying ti is a symptom of the problem, rather than the actual problem?

4. Create

Create :free at last:

You have two options:

1. Stop making committments you can't fulfill, continue life, and hope that the lack of discipline doesn't lead to bigger issues.

2. Quit drinking.

Alcoholism is a dangerous disease. Lack of self-control, even this minor, is a symptom of the start. It moves so slowly, over years, that it's hard to see the change over time until you're well along.

To pre-disqualify an expected retort: If you can't go to the same place without drinking and still ahve a good time, what are you doing there in the first place?

5. Kytro

Which is why I posted. It was of concern to me. There as plenty of reasons I could list as to why I think what I am doing is ok, but if I really believed that then I wouldn't have posted.

I don't like the lack of self-control, as I have said.

This is a second point, though I usually only drink when going out to dinner, and then rarely too much. I may drink to much when a attending a event at a person's house. Social skills are not that good. Unless I know people well I start to feel uncomfortable.

Usually I will drink after work, at home, sometimes with a housemate. While I don't usually drink enough to get a hangover the idea that a "need" a drink to relax is actually kinda scary

6. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

What I'm saying is that alcohol does nothing to solve problems. It will help you forget them and get some sleep, but the issues will still be there in the morning.

I used to drink after work every day. I used to consider myself a functioning alcoholic because I never missed work. Sometimes I looked and felt like shit but I figured that as long I went to work I was ok. I also used alcohol as a social lubricant. After a few drinks, I felt like I was on par with everyone else and, after years of self medication, became a full blown five alarm alcoholic.

Now, with the help of A.A., I'm learning to live life on life's terms.

I'm not saying that you are an alcoholic, but you are wise to notice that you may be headed for trouble.

7. Kytro

Absolutelty. I don't generally have trouble sleeping - I am not that stressed all the time, I just like to unwind a little.

I wouldn't say it's every day, but it is often enough. Sometimes it's just one or two beers, sometimes 4 or 5.

Thanks for the reply, what really worries me the most the caving-in in my mind when I feel liek a drink

8. Create

I entirely understand the lack of social skills aspect. I found that I liked the way I socialized when I had been drinking. My fraternity house, college life in general, requires constant social interaction. I'd band-aided, rather than fixed the root cause: my lack of social skills.

You've sacrificed your integrity on this issue with your wife for another drink. It's just not worth it. Anyone in recovery is going to make the exact same suggestion: abstinence.

There's a symptomatic definition of an alcoholic personality I'd like you to read. It's quite extreme but I think you're one that can keep an open mind and maybe see this with the collective knowledge, rather than the individual. Alcoholics Anonymous 4th ed. Read The Doctor's Opinion (pg xxv), Bill's Story, and There Is a Solution. 38 total pages.

Attempt 3, Day 8.

9. Kytro

She doesn't drink very often (makes her feel sick) and she is just looking out for me because I didn't follow thorugh with my promise to myself.

I thought that suggestion would be made, I'm not really sure what to think about that.

Does this exist on the interweb?

Edit: Found it. Unfortunately AA is a little too unscientific for my liking, but thanks for the advice

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  10. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

11. Create

I see your posts. You don't seem like the type of guy to repeatedly break your word, no matter how minor.

Don't discount a century of collective experience so readily.