KTM 300 EXC vs. Suzuki Z400 - Story

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ronin, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

My friend brought his quad over today so we were racing around my field and my friends field (neighbors). We did a few drag races and I beat him a few times on my KTM. Won the first and second time, but it was close. Then I was riding like shit and he got a lead on me the following 2 races spraying my mask pretty good with mud. Then we finnally raced 2 last times where I got him pretty good. I was riding in first longer than I usually did but I'm pretty sure I was hooking when he wasnt because I was pulling ahead of him when usually he was ahead of me, I shifted into 2nd and pulled ahead of him, he got sprayed pretty good, he got hit even more when I went into 3rd. :) The last I just wasted him pretty bad, got it up to 4th this time and I was flying pretty good. Where we racing was a big field that went to a narrow spot (about 25 feet across maybe a little bit more) then opened up into another big field. We are probably going to race on the road or some other spot good for dragging.

(these were really short races.)

He's been riding a lot longer than me and I'm sure in a different setting the out come would probably be different. But it was a lot of fun finnally being able to race around with someone. :cool:

My friends Z400 is modded, nerf bars, tires and rims, hand guards, new performance clutch, piped, I think it has aftermarket front shocks, oh and his rear axle was slightly bent:p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  2. KDXman

KDXman New Member

your katoom should have shit all over that Z400 all day. sounds like you need to get a new rear so it will actually hook up and then you will be so far in front of him you wont be able to spray him. or just work on your riding.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

im new at riding so off the line im kind of bad, not to mention we didnt have enuf room for me to really fly up through my gears. My first gear is kind of shitty off the line, my bike(gears) is set up for trail riding and stuff tho not for racing. (The guy before me did some stuff to it.) :dunno:

4. KDXman

KDXman New Member

oh i see... you will get better and be able to waste him every time. try starting in second that way you can avoid having to shift so quickly out of first. it might take a few tries to get used to it but it is a way to avoid first and it will get you out ahead quicker.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

thanks for the tip, ill practice it next time i get around to riding

6. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

What he said... either start in second, or start in first with both feet flat on the ground, and kick it into second with the back of your heel as you bring your feet up. 300E/XC will fuckin waste that quad.

edit, come join us at www.ktmtalk.com

7. KDXman

KDXman New Member

i will come join you guys at KTMtalk.com in a couple of years when i start racing adult events when i get my 525EXC, but for now i am happy with a YZ250.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ill probably keep my bike for this summer and the next then sell it. If I get another bike ill probably go for a 450 or something around there.

I like those 525s, beasts.

9. bush0102

bush0102 Guest

dont underestimate that suzuki though, a stock z400 will rip up my piped and filtered honda 400.

10. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

A Z400 will still get torn up by a 300EXC. Saying it will beat a 400EX doesnt say much in context here. A 300EXC makes more power than a TRX450R and weights probably 100lbs less.

My next bike is either going to be a KTM or a CR500