GUN kt ordinance lowers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cabriolet, Nov 9, 2006.

1. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

thought I'd make a thread to ask a few questions for anyone that has had experience with them.

How is the quality?

What are you looking total cost to finish an AR build?

It's all "technically" legal, but if someone calls the ATF on you and the knock down your door are you gonna be fucked?

If some cop pulls you over and sees this gun, with no serial number, are going to get arrested? (regardless if it can get cleared up in court later)

thanks

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well I think the 80's still need some machining done to them so first do you have access to the type of equipment you'll need to finish it? IMO its more trouble then its worth when 100% are so cheap.

Quality, well that really depends on you since you'll be the one putting the final touches on the machining and putting whatever type of finish you want on it(I recomend the bake on type duracoat stuff)

With no SN# yeah I could see a cop detaining you durring a traffic stop or something, I'd just make up my own SN# to put on it.

3. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

As far as equipment yes, a friend/client of mine has a full machine shop.

But as far as the quality of their machine work, is it good or sorta shotty?

True, I suppose there would be no reason you could put your own, do manufacturers have any legal guidlines to ensure they don't duplicate a serial? Or do they run it like BMxxxxxx for a bushmaster or RGxxxxxx for a ruger?

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Last I looked it was probably $200 in parts (bits/taps) and jigs to finish a stripped lower.

I think there is definately a risk of law enforcement harassment. I'd certainly travel with the applicable laws printed. As the end user I wouldn't expect ATF problems as long as you didn't start manufacturing them for others.

5. striker754

striker754 Chillin

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

considering you can get a lower for $77 bucks, the only reason I could see doing it is if you already had all the equipment available and even then, it's still a hassle. I am going down next week and picking up a few more lowers from Tactical Customs here in Carson. Some of the best lowers (as well as flash hiders and vertical grips) I have seen and used. Expensive, but their quality is top notch stuff.

7. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I have access to a full machine shop, I'd just have to buy him dinner or beer to do operate it. The only reason I'm considering this over a typical receiver is because I've never seen just a lower at any of our local gun shows (our gun shows suck ass)

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just buy yourself a stripped lower off arfcom if noone local has them.