MMA Krav Maga for self-defense?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Mugen92GS-R, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

I figured this would be the best place to ask about this...

I was recently almost jumped walking in my neighborhood, and while I felt ok with having to defend myself if I had to (mainly a mental state that if they came at me I was going to give it everything I had anyways), I don't have much experience fighting, brawling, or really anything of the matter, and aside from the confidence of knowing how to handle an attacker, the fitness aspect also interests me.

I don't want the pomp and shit that comes with most martial arts... I could care less what belt I am or about style or about silly rituals. I want to basically get involved and train for reality-based self-defense skills, and from what I've read, Commando Krav Maga is pretty much the best there is...

Anyone here have experience with this or have any recommendations?

2. Memor

Memor Active Member

Probably better off asking this in The Cage

3. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

I didn't even know this forum existed :o

Sorry

4. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

Systema > krav maga

(did krav 3 mos, sys 1 year)

5. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

ok... why?

6. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

a simple answer to your question is: yes, go learn krav maga

longer answer: you need to be weary of the mcdojos that are more interested in pumping kids/adults through a belt system and getting you to pay them money for your test/belt etc. I have heard that there are some krav maga schools in t he states that are excellent but many which are watered down bullshit.

in terms of straight up self defense, krav maga is the way to go. all the things that are considered dirty in some other martial arts, are actually focused on because of their real-world effectiveness. kicking people in the balls is huge for example. knife training etc. all real world shit.

wearing a good pair of running shoes and knowing how to run really fast is probably the best self defense youre ever going to get though :o

7. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

concealed weapon permit and a ankle holster for your pistol is the best way to go

but Krav couldn't hurt either for reasons already mentioned above by handgunfantasy

8. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

I am interested in getting my CCW and a pistol, but I walk to the bars around where I live and I can't carry inside, so I wouldn't want to carry on my way there. I also don't want to have to rely on brandishing a firearm to scare away my assailants... I want to be ABLE to defend myself without one.

9. Nick Gerz

Nick Gerz OT Supporter

nice

10. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

It looks like Krav Maga is perfect for your needs (don't know much about systema). Some of the stuff they teach is downright dirty. Take HandgunFantasy's advice on investigating a dojo before you start though. See if you can find out where the instructor trained and how long he has been teaching etc.

11. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (mogul: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

Get a fucking light sabre.

12. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

I've been thinking about checking this place out... any comments based on the website?

http://www.stlouisselfdefense.com/

13. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I took it for about 7 months. Its a great introduction to fighting, but as always it depends on where you go. The system is essentially dirty kickboxing. Its very simple to learn, and the main focus is on a quick, powerful reaction to an attack and the physical fitness and power to carry it through rather than proper technique. The point is to overwhelm someone who was not expecting you to be a threat to him. Against an untrained, unaware attacker it is excellent, and that is what you will usually run into in the street.

But for me, a few minutes of boxing against a much bigger, stronger, better guy did far more for my self defense ability than that 7 months of Krav Maga. There is still nothing quite like getting hit in the face and gut really hard to get you prepared for getting hit in the face and gut really hard.

Some Krav Maga gyms will over you good sparring sessions, some won't. If they don't, then I would recomment you supplement it with some boxing just to learn what it feels like to get pummeled.

14. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

I :rofl:'d but true.

15. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

The place I posted above also has sparring training, which I would certainly opt for.

16. Titus

Titus New Member

i'll teach you krav maga right now. kick to the balls and punch them as many times as you can, then get out of there. that's basically everything you need to know. practice that and come back to me with $1000 and you can have your blackbelt.

all kidding aside, a good krav maga gym will be pretty useful. you'll learn to box, kick, grapple some, and you'll practice some good drills.

17. AdrenalineJUNKY

AdrenalineJUNKY New Member

combat sambo or krav maga

(i train in sambo so im biased :big grin: but both are self-defense martial arts and are wat your lookin for)

18. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

Sweet, I'll check out that free class they offer and check it out. Hopefully I'll find one to join once i get a job :cool:

Thanks for all the help.

19. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

as an aside, knife training is pretty fun. using a retractable knife coated with lipstick, so there is evidence where you would get sliced

i remember instructor yelling "AND NOW YOUR DEAD" :rofl:

20. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

:rofl:

21. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

If I get in a real fight and the other person kicks me in the balls, they're gonna have to kill me in about 30 seconds cause after that I'm gonna kill them. I understand if the person has a knife or something, or it's a much smaller opponent, but jesus christ who does that. No one except maybe Bas Rutten can do that to me because I'm sure he'd make some cool sound effect as he did it. :squint:

Krav Maga sounds perfect for your needs though. Oh and Boxing is hard as fuck and you'll honestly probably get your ass beat around for a bit if they even let you spar.

22. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

As previously mentioned krav maga seems like the top choice for you. If you're interested in another option however, a school that teaches 'concept' Jeet Kune Do would also help. It helps you tailor the most effective fighting style to your own body type and ability and does away with the ritualistic nature of much of the movement, focusing very squarely on economy of motion and accuracy.

23. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

One of the krav maga instructors @ the place I'm checking out is supposedly big on jeet kune do.

24. ZZex

ZZex New Member

gun > any of this martial arts BS

cliffs: just do it. Take a class. See if you think you can apply it to the real world.

25. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

Given that my neighborhood is taking a MASSIVE turn for truely ghetto, yes... I think I'll be able to use it. I hope I don't have to, but I don't want to NOT be prepared.

And I already talked about guns a little in here. I agree, gun > no gun... but trained and no gun > not trained and no gun