GUN Krav Maga Classes

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Cable Guy, Feb 5, 2009.

1. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Should I take em? :noes:

2. pereza

pereza OT Supporter

Just go to a boxing gym
    Prolly much cheaper.
    People really seem to underestimate quality punching techniques.

3. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

If you got nothing else to do, why not? It's physical activity and it teaches you SOMETHING at least.

4. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Thats one of my main reasons.

I'm really out of shape. I need a kick in the ass and someone there to make sure that I follow through with my workout shit.

On top of that, I could use the discipline.

5. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

:werd:

But in a real life situation, you wont have time to square up, and people may be using weapons. Krav maga also teaches proper striking techniques.

6. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

It really doesn't compare to boxing. Krav Maga is all about reacting quickly to stressful situations and overwhelming the other guy before a fist fight even breaks out. Its a great starter to self defense and fighting because you learn a lot of simple but still good moves quickly. But after 6 months to a year its time to move onto something more refined like boxing. Obviously it depends on the school but in general Krav Maga will not teach you to hit and avoid getting hit nearly as well as a boxing gym would, but I would definetley recommend it as an intro to martial arts.

7. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

As much as I enjoy watching boxing, thats all I can see it as, a sport. I don't see it as an adequate form of self defense, unless you're in the ring.

If I were ever attacked on the street, I'd be more worried about getting my ass out of there, rather than how hard I'm hitting the guy.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Krav has the benifit of cutting out a lot of the BS and you can get somewhat competent in 6 months. They do a good job of teaching spacing, and are well rounded in giving you striking and grapeling tools. You generally don't have to get punched in the face and it's fairly light sparring if that is what your after.

As far as striking goes nobody is better with their hands than a boxer. Not being a boxer the drawbacks I see is that it is very one dimentional. You don't learn grapling, kicks, elbows, trips, locks, or throws. If anything boxing should be a supliment to all other martial arts.

I ended my marital arts training (TKD) a long time ago. Joe Cool I would suspect is the athority on this subject. Personally I think krav would be a good way to start.

9. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

you mention discipline, a traditional art would be a great way to go for that. i would probably agree with yar though if you're looking more for self defense krav is a great way to go. its an art that brings you up to speed very quickly. i think boxing is great but that it can really limit you in anything but a boxing match. one thing about boxers though is that they always seem to be in great shape. i've been taking traditional karate for a while now and we had a guy join recently with some background in boxing, he can really throw a punch and has pretty quick hands, i think that could be a great asset when it comes to self defense but it still leaves a lot out.

10. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Before joining boxing I did a year of krav Maga, a few months of kickboxing, and sparred lots with friends using shit we learned from dozens of videos. There is nothing quite like getting hit hard in the face/gut a hundred times by someone bigger, stronger, and better than you. And boy do you learn shit fast while its happening. I learned more in a few rounds of sparring the local heavyweight champ than I did in all the previous stuff.

Krav Maga is awesome and I recommend it as an introduction to fighting. It will get you in shape fast, get you coordinated, and teach you how to react to some common self defense situations. But after you've done 6 months to a year its reached its limit and its time to move onto something more refined.

11. Initial E

Initial E New Member

Tae Bo videos huh?

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

While the subject is up, one of my friends teaches when i believe he said is naha-te. In general it seems like they get together for class and really pound the crap out of each other. Is it anything better than what most parents send their kids to at the mall? :big grin:

13. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

I took Jeet Kune Do for about a year, and it is an extremely efficient art.

That coupled with Escrima, I feel pretty comfortable in most situations I find myself in.

14. I actually took KM and I enjoyed it but I agree that after a little while it is probably good to supplement it with some Boxing or BJJ. There are definitely some things in there that they teach you that really help out though. It also teaches a really good mentality to keep you fighting. It made me even more aware of my surroundings while in classes.

During sparring I would get the shit knocked out of my face though. I believe if I had the boxing background I would have been better off. I mean I was seeing stars a couple times for real.

15. turner_ftw

turner_ftw New Member

Muay Thai if you're wanting a GREAT workout and to be proficient if SHTF while you're out and about. And just in case you get taken to the ground, throw some Brazillian Jiu Jitsu training in there. My friends train and say it's a ridiculous form of cardio.

16. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

17. TCMS

TCMS OT Supporter

What would you do when I take you down at will?

Serious question.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

what would you do when I circle draw and but two 9mm to your body and one to your head? Serious question.

19. snoodles

snoodles New Member

i've taken Krav, filipino arts, JKD, muay thai, judo, boxing, and BJJ. they all had their ups and downs.

it really just comes down to what you want out of your martial arts. muay thai + bjj is, in my opinion, is your best all around combo. they all transition fairly smoothly into each other.

krav is a great self-defense oriented martial art. if you're in law enforcement or military, i'd recommend it. it's also good if you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to an art.

20. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I had my invisible force field up.

21. smartypants

smartypants New Member

KM can be performed effectively in panic mode or injured with gross motoe skills. Boxing tends to emphasize technique in a specific environment.

22. smartypants

smartypants New Member

lol wut if you don't have your sticks:rofl:

23. snoodles

snoodles New Member

save yourself energy. get a CHL. :)

24. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Too young to own a pistol atm, and look at my location :greddy:

25. snoodles

snoodles New Member

that sucks. my heart breaks for you. haha. :(

since there's such strict laws there i'm sure the crime rate is very low, right?