MMA Koscheck now has a better chance of beating GSP than BJ Penn

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I'm probably gonna take a lot of shit for this, but the fact is that even though Kos lost to GSP, with Koscheck's improvement and just his style in general, he is the best test for GSP in the next 12 months.

In GSP vs. Penn 2, Penn will probably gas again. Especially considering it will be a FIVE round fight instead of THREE rounds. Maybe the "new" Penn can last two rounds instead of one this time, but it won't matter.

2. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

:rofl::ugh:

Okay I totally disagree. Koscheck isn't a piece of shit fighter, but he isn't going to be able to beat GSP where they both stand right now. I don't think he will give GSP too much to handle except him just being there, for GSP to decisevly pick apart and win a decision or quicker. Penn has a lot more skill and experience to bring into the octagon, I think it's crazy you believe this.

BJ won't gas, unless he doesn't take this serious.

3. Disagree completely about koscheck. He can't outwrestle GSP and his striking isn't nearly good enough to concern GSP. His subs/defense are his weakest areas.

BJ might gas in the championship rounds, and he's never won a 5 round decision, but I don't think he'll gas horribly like he has in the past. The kid wants to win fights and knows he isn't good enough to just blast everyone without work anymore.

4. Bear Fight

Bear Fight New Member

you mad crazy son

The thought of Koscheck holding a belt makes me want to throw up. Koscheck might be getting better in general but I don't see why a Kos/GSP is better than BJP/GSP. BJP = titleholder, Kos = no titleholder.

BJ v GSP please

5. Sammo

Sammo New Member

BJ looked tired against Sherk later in their fight

hate on

6. Sammo

Sammo New Member

because GSP fights at a different weight than BJ at the moment, both guys should build up this interweight match-up by fighting contenders in their weightclass

7. Redneck Shinobi

Okay stop trolling! :nono: NO!

8. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I mean it

9. I don't think he'll ever be known for his enormous cardio, but he threw down hard for 3 rounds. You're going to need to do more than drag the fight out to beat BJ. You're going to have to be good enough to beat him for several rounds.

10. Sammo

Sammo New Member

GSP will wear out BJ Penn like with his gameplan to wear out Serra

up down, keeping working at a pace he can't keep up with

Penn will gas, maybe win two rounds top unless he stops the fight

11. Bear Fight

Bear Fight New Member

I could see each of them fighting one more time before they fight. I just don't think BJ v Florian is a good idea because of the discussion in the other thread this week. Who is next in line at WW anyway other than Koscheck?

12. Sammo

Sammo New Member

almost certainly Alves if he beats Sanchez in the fall, perhaps Koscheck if Alves loses based on the fact that Sanchez recently had a couple back to back losses

13. Redneck Shinobi

LOL I know, he did look a bit tired. I think it's pretty dumb to pretend he wouldn't, it's fucking hard work out there. I get surprised at how much a punch can take away from your endurence. He was also doing a lot out there, and like I said, it's not easy.

I do think GSP wins and early too, but I don't think it'll be because of gas.

14. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

Honestly, Koscheck is the better wrestler. He didn't expect GSP to be as good as he was when it came to wrestling in their first match. Koscheck will drill his wrestling when he gets his next shot and will take GSP down. What he does from there :dunno:

15. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I'm not saying that BJ wasn't doing a lot because I can't box with Sean Sherk for 3 rounds, but it definitely wasn't "a lot" for a high level of MMA in the highest, most physically fast and enduring weightclass

16. Bear Fight

Bear Fight New Member

GSP v Alves sounds like a good match, more so than douchebag Koscheck. I pray for a highlight reel KO every time someone fights him. I think Alves is much more deserving of a title shot than Koscheck at the moment.

17. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

koscheck v alves for title shot sounds good to me

18. Redneck Shinobi

Punching seriously isn't easy though, I don't care if you utilize it on a low level opponent, it's still tiring as shit. Seriously, raise your hands away from the computer screen and throw 100 punches, don't go too fast, but fast enough to get the technique down(standing of course). I bet you, after those 100 your arms will hurt and you'll be tired. I do agree that when you train for a fight you work on conditioning, but what he is doing isn't like walking. A lot of people just "hide" being tired, or they really aren't human.

You're right though, he should be training to do more. I think everyone should strive to improve and do better. I should make my runs an extra 4miles, but I never do.

19. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

Good thing we aren't talking about a wrestling match then.

Koscheck may have better pure wrestling, but no one can match the way GSP implements his wrestling into MMA.

20. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

I'm only saying that to argue when people say GSP outwrestles the wrestler. Like I said, what he does when he takes GSP down :dunno:

21. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Koscheck has good MMA wrestling, he has made a very good transition which some people haven't

who is better at it , I will not bother to argue

but this also plays into why I think Koscheck will be a better match up. The truth is that wrestling is fucking tiring. There are reasons that wrestling matches are so short and boxing matches can be so long, with MMA in between. This is exactly why GSP was up and down with Matt Serra, like BJ he doesn't have great conditioning and that kind of fight is exhausting.

22. ChampKind

ChampKind New Member

Koscheck has no business fighting GSP until afer Alves does. Period

23. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

Alves needs to make weight first. Period.

24. Sammo

Sammo New Member

fixed

25. Redneck Shinobi

I agree with him though. :o

wait lemmie fix mine