TAT Koi: The New Tribal

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Grouch, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Amirte? It seems like eveyone on these tattoo shows are getting kios on their arms at the drop of a hat.

2. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

what about dragons? snakes? orchids? cherry blossoms? stars?

People are actually getting good tattoos so I don't see what the deal is. As long as it's not shitty tribal I don't care.

3. joy division

joy division New Member

I've seen plenty of shitty koi :o

as long as chicks getting raped or killed doesn't become popular I could care less what most faggots get on them.

4. SmokeDog420

SmokeDog420 New Member

Shit.. I've been thinking about getting one after my pheonix is finished. and a tiger, already have a dragon. I have some tribal, got it 10 years ago.. Its faded enough and small enough to get a nice cover up over it.. I dont really like tribal anymore. : /

5. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

I'm negative towards shitty tribal. If it's not symmetrical and doesn't have any flow (following body lines and muscle shapes) than I hate it.

6. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

eh, it's becoming a trend, but I don't care what people get honestly.

I have a koi (got it back in 2004) and only until I got it did I start to recognize others with koi tattoos. I agree with buttons, if it's not done in a shitty manner, i don't care.

but then again, i plan on getting an making my leg oriental themed, so the koi is just the beginning

7. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

I wouldn't say it's becoming a trend. For someone such as myself who has been in the tattoo community for at least 10 years now I've seen koi's being done for those 10 years. It's only because of society accepting tattoos that people are now seeing them more and more.

8. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

Here's my take on it.

Get what you want. Fuck what other people think even though they are going to give you their opinion anyways. If you want a tribal design, go for it (I personally hate tribal, if I see another guy with a tribal armband or another tribal tramp stamp I am going to puke) and be happy.

I am planning on a koi with lotus flowers on my right arm when my catholic lady with the hibiscus flowers is finished on my left. Do I care that a lot of other people seem to be getting koi tattoos? No. It will be making ME happy, not anyone else and ultimately that is what is important, right? ;)

Even the girl with the "bitches & hoes" tattoo is happy with it, no matter how ghetto everyone else thinks it is :hsd:

9. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

Koi tattoos ahve been done for hundreds of years, and are now becoming more prevalent inthe west because art has now been spread out from it's home inteh east. I thinkit's great that people are gettting things that maybe 100 years ago wouldn't have been seen or accepted here. As long as the person getting it is happy, as long as the art is good and as long as the medium of art that tattooing has been, is now, and is becoming continues to be a positve medium, i see nothing wrong with it.

10. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Tribal is another example of that exact situation. But by 99% of OT tribal is gay. :dunno:

11. Gek

Gek Go for broke

lol i've been planning on gettin a koi tattoo for a long time now, about 5 years now.. just waiting for a good artist and the right timing for me to get it... for me the koi tattoo would represent me overcoming an obstacle, eg. koi swimmin up waterfalls... i mean i could get a salmon but they don't look as cool. lol

12. Mr.Bojangles

Mr.Bojangles New Member

I don;t think the opinions of people should matter much when you are altering YOUR body. That's like saying jeans are a fad, so i am not going to wear them... Some people just like how jeans (tattoos) make them feel. And if something makes you feel good, like beautiful art on your body, why not do it?

13. Mr.Bojangles

Mr.Bojangles New Member

Beautiful story.:h5:

14. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

I've seen a lot of Great tribals and I have seen a lot more terrible tribals. As buttons said earlier, It has to have flow and look good. It seems like all the shitty ones were drawn by a highschooler listening to linkin park.

15. Grouch

Grouch Guest

I don't think kio really swim up waterfalls. :hs:

16. Mr.Bojangles

Mr.Bojangles New Member

Just keep on shoveling.

17. kiss kiss bang bang

kiss kiss bang bang New Member

diamonds are the new stars.

18. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

individuality is the new conformity

19. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

stars for sure are the new tribal . everyone seems to have those now. I really like koi but they are very common, esp in the bay area. its like that with anything cool, someone sees it and the next thing everyone has it. it doesn’t make it any less cool, just unoriginal.

20. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

But it's not "unoriginal" really. You have an underwater sleeve (if i remember correctly) and I've seen hundreds of those done. Are you calling yourself unoriginal? :hsugh: Trying to find an original tattoo in this day and age is damn near impossible. It has to be something very off the wall to be original.

21. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

well sorta, I mean I know I wasn't the first guy out there to get Japanese type stuff there’s tons of it at least where I live I wasn’t trying to copy anybody but the idea wasn’t original. just because it's been done before doesn’t mean its not cool. I just meant its been done a million times over like tribal stuff, I'm not saying there’s anything wrong with it.

22. julia!

julia! New Member

oh good call!

I like kois but they are becoming a little bit more popular. However I do like them.

and I think there will always be comething that takes off and gets over done. people just have a hard time being original..and to be honest it's not really that easy anymore. pretty much everything you do has been done.

23. SmokeDog420

SmokeDog420 New Member

OMG.. Ima go get a tribal koi!

24. Grouch

Grouch Guest

wait... what?

25. Grouch

Grouch Guest

I've never seen a diamond tattoo. :dunno: