A&P kodak portra, fuji, sensia

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by lemans23, Dec 19, 2004.

1. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

whats a good film to start with? i mean just a median film that is a median? not too professional or not too cheap. whats one that is just baseline to practice my techniques on? i picked up a photography magazine and they had articles on this stuff called kodak porta and fujichrome. are these good? thanks for any help!

2. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

Are you looking for slide film?

Slide Film:
    Fuji Velvia has High Saturation and contrast...also very sharp. Good for landscape shooting and nature. Will probably give you the best blacks and richest colors. Not good for portraits.

Id probably go for Afga RSXII 100 pro/CTprecisa 100 since it's a good all around film and pretty cheap(CTprecisa is cheaper than the RSX and produces equal quality images, and is 200iso)

Fuji Astia is a good choice if you are shooting portraits and need good skin tones.

Provia 100F is one of my favorite slide films as it is finer grained than even velvia, and if rated at 100 ISO(velvia is 50). If you need something fast, Id go with Fuji Provia 400F.

3. lemans23

i guess i'm looking at slide film. lol i really dont know anything about still photography.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

I believe fuji's site till have some good info. Good fil is also expensive. A lot of pros shoot slide film (also called chromes or color transperiency, color reversal) It produces great colors, but it not as leinant with exposures. You need to be right on or a little under. Overexposure will ruin the pic

Provia is a great film, velia has the best colors ever, sensia is incredible for skin tones

http://www.pbase.com/viperx27/santa_barbara
    These are almost all taken on Provia, the ones taken with my 10D are obviously not. Notice the rich colors but still normal skin tones. Velvia would be better for landscapes but not for skin tones. If you're into portraiture, sensia would be a good choice. Kodak is really good at warm tones, but won't have the rich colors.

5. mojito

mojito New Member

One thing to do with slide film, is test the actual ISO of the film. Genrally its slower than stated. Provia 100F is usually more like ISO 80 instead of 100. It has been seen as low as 50. If you don't want to test each brick of film, you can usually get good results by just moving the cameras ISO from 100 that it will read the film as to 80.

Slide film needs to be either perfectly exposed or a little under exposed. over exposure will wipe the detail out. Underexposing an image is where the great colors come from.

6. lemans23

whats ur fav film? have been impressed with the IIE?